Sweating occurs in all people, regardless of the time of day. This is a natural function of the body, which is aimed at maintaining optimal body temperature. Even in cool weather, the body loses about 700-1000 ml of fluid, not to mention the warm season. At night, in a dream, a person also sweats, and this is normal. But there are times when in the morning the sheet and pillow are soaked through with excess sweat. It is important to find out why a person sweats so much in a dream, because increased sweating can be a symptom of a variety of diseases.
External causes: improper organization of sleep
In some cases, excessive sweating can be the result of a serious medical condition. But most often this is just a side effect of improper sleep conditions. In order to reduce sweating at night, it is recommended to analyze the following factors:
- Too warm bed linen or a blanket made of synthetic materials. When choosing a blanket in the winter season, few people pay attention to what material it is made of. Most budget models are filled with padding polyester. It not only warms perfectly, but also contributes to the active release of sweat during sleep. A similar situation with bedding: sheets with a high content of synthetics increase perspiration.
- Sleepwear. Synthetic materials from which nightgowns and pajamas are made do not allow the body to breathe freely, which makes it sweat even more. For a good sleep, preference should be given to natural fabrics, such as cotton and linen.
- High temperature in the room. The reason why the amount of sweat released during sleep may increase may lie in too high an air temperature. For quality sleep, the temperature in the room should not be higher than +20 degrees.
In addition to sleep conditions, there are other reasons why a person sweats profusely when sleeping.
- Wrong nutrition. Spicy, spicy foods promote active blood circulation. The body needs to cool down and sweats during sleep.
- Bad habits. Alcohol and tobacco, not to mention narcotic substances, have a strong influence on the human condition. At night, toxins are actively removed, and the person sweats a lot.
- Overweight. Obese people are more likely to face the problem of increased perspiration . This applies not only to the night time of the day, but also to the daytime. This may be due to both
diet and endocrine system disorders.
- Stress. Another possible reason why a person sweats at night. Being in constant stress during the day, it is very problematic to relax. Due to the increased activation of the adrenal glands, the nervous system gives a signal to the sebaceous glands, and increased sweating continues even during sleep.
To calm down, it is recommended to drink a decoction of mint or chamomile in the evening, take a walk or meditate before going to bed.
Diseases that cause excessive night sweats
If the problem persists after eliminating the above factors, then it is time to see a doctor. Most likely, the causes of excessive sweating lie in diseases or malfunctions in the body systems. Consider the possible pathological causes of increased sweating during sleep.
Infectious diseases, accompanied by an increase in body temperature, contribute to sweating, and most often this occurs at night, in a dream. Thanks to the release of sweat, the body lowers the temperature to a normal threshold. Sweating indicates the work of the immune system, fighting infection.
The most common cause of night sweats. This is an individual feature of the body that appears in childhood or adolescence and can develop into a chronic disease. It consists in the fact that a person has an increase in the number of sweat glands, which constantly actively produce sweat.
Hormonal failure in the body
Failure of the endocrine system leads to hormonal imbalance. It affects the production of vital hormones, as a result, many processes in the body undergo changes.
Excessive sweating in a dream can be associated with natural processes: with a transitional age, with the imminent onset of menstruation, pregnancy, menopause or menopause in women. In this case, the hormones return to normal on their own, without the intervention of medications, after a certain period of time.
But it is likely that such a failure may mean the initial stage of a serious illness, for example, it may signal the presence of diabetes, problems with the thyroid gland.
One of the most dangerous reasons why a person sweats during sleep. Oncology manifests itself in the later stages, so it’s hard not to confuse it with something else in the early period of development. And the resulting pheochromocytoma, lymphoma, or other malignant tumor affects sweating during sleep. This is due to the ingress of metabolic products into the blood and the decay of the neoplasm. The temperature rises, and the sweat glands react with increased activity.
The negative effect of toxins on the nervous system causes the body’s desire to correct the changed conditions, which can provoke increased sweating during sleep. Also, with this disease, metabolic and heat transfer disorders are possible.
Obstructive sleep apnea syndrome
It causes oxygen starvation of the body due to respiratory arrest during sleep, provokes the release of stress hormones by the adrenal glands: norepinephrine and adrenaline. Patients sweat during sleep due to increased blood pressure and palpitations.
Pathologies of the cardiovascular system
The sleep of patients with tachycardia, hypertension and atherosclerosis cannot be called ideal. Nocturnal hyperhidrosis – increased sweating – is one of the unpleasant symptoms of these diseases.
Recurring insomnia is often accompanied by anxiety, rapid heartbeat, high blood pressure, and sweating.
What to do?
At night, during sleep, increased sweating causes discomfort, since wet bedding can prevent you from sleeping properly. Especially this problem worries a person if he does not sleep alone. You can be embarrassed to sleep with your loved one, because a sweaty partner hugging another is hardly the ultimate dream, especially if a characteristic smell of sweat appears.
If the elimination of external factors did not help, the reason lies in internal problems. In order to stop being afraid to sweat in a dream, you should exclude the possibility of serious diseases by contacting a doctor. If there are no other symptoms, you can go to see a GP who will refer you to the right specialist.