According to statistics, about 30% of adults snore in their sleep, while 5% of women and 20% of men snore under the age of 35. Snoring in men after 60 years old occurs in 60% of cases.
Most people, especially men, do not see him as anything other than a factor that annoys others. However, according to doctors, sometimes serious diseases can be the causes of the phenomenon.
Reasons for the appearance
Snoring is a process that accompanies the breathing of a sleeping person with vibration, rattling sounds. Snoring in a dream is based on relaxation of the walls of the nasopharynx, narrowing of the respiratory tube, vibration of the soft tissues of the palate and pharynx when air passes into the lungs. Sometimes the sound appears due to the beating of the palatine uvula.
Sometimes the walls of the airways are so narrowed that air does not penetrate into the lungs at all. In such cases, a short-term cessation of breathing may occur.
What conditions provoke the onset of the disorder
Anatomical characteristics, chronic diseases, factors associated with lifestyle, habits, and the state of a person contribute to the emergence of ronchopathy .
The main anatomical features of ronchopathy include:
- broken bite – the jaw is moved back;
- underdevelopment of the jaw;
- curvature or other abnormalities of the nasal septum;
- broad language;
- narrowed nasal passages;
- lengthening of the uvula;
- small jaw.
The indicated anatomical characteristics can be congenital or acquired.
Chronic diseases that can lead to ronchopathy :
- bronchial asthma;
- diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- ENT diseases;
- overgrown adenoids, tonsils;
- endocrine system diseases.
The reasons for snoring in a dream in men can also be factors that relax the muscles of the nasopharynx:
- taking sleeping pills;
- taking tranquilizers,
- trauma to peripheral organs;
- uncomfortable pillow;
- alcohol abuse;
What can be the consequences
There are three types of ronchopathy, depending on the severity . The characteristic features of each type affect what consequences the pathology will have:
- For a mild degree, single snoring is characteristic, which manifests itself mainly when a person sleeps on his back, and disappears as soon as he changes his posture.
- With moderate severity, snoring appears in any position, it can disturb others.
- Loud, heavy snoring causes anxiety in other rooms and severe sleep disturbances. It is classified as severe.
Why is snoring dangerous for men? The periodic appearance of ronchopathy does not lead to severe negative consequences. Another thing is when the sleeper snores heavily, constantly wakes up at night.
After a while, the following complications and symptoms may appear:
- Violation of night rest. A person suffering from ronhopathy may wake up several times during the night. As a result, he does not get enough sleep, experiences headaches during the day, feels tired, irritable.
- The onset of anxiety. A snoring person may be ashamed of the sounds and vibration that appear during sleep. Thus, he has an unconscious fear of sleep, he is afraid to fall asleep, he often wakes up.
- In severe forms, the suspension of breathing during sleep lasts up to 30 seconds, leading to oxygen starvation. Hypoxia has a negative effect on many organs of the body. The heart adapts, begins to beat less frequently, up to a complete stop. Completely healthy people can die suddenly while sleeping.
- In the morning hours before waking up, a sharp increase in blood pressure is often recorded. Indicators are restored some time after waking up.
- As a result of hypoxia and lack of sleep, the processes associated with memory, thinking, attention, performance, and information processing can be disrupted.
- Sleep disturbances can lead to obesity. A person sometimes just seizes his irritability. On the other hand, the brain sends a signal about the need to eliminate discomfort, fatigue, arising from lack of sleep. The most correct remedy is good rest, but it is not available. In this regard, a person tries to find a more comfortable state by snacking and increasing food intake.
- Pathology can be very disturbing to others. Lack of sleep causes them irritation, frustration.
- Male snoring can lead to the development of sexual dysfunction, decreased sexual desire.
- Ronchopathy can lead to premature aging.
How to cure snoring in men
Only a doctor can point out the exact causes of snoring, as well as prescribe the correct treatment. The problem and therapy of ronchopathy can be dealt with by specialists from various branches of medicine:
- The otolaryngologist will diagnose the upper respiratory tract and prescribe appropriate treatment.
- The dentist will help correct the anatomical features of the jaw.
- The somnologist will determine why the sleep is disturbed, and also tell you how snoring is treated .
- If the causes of ronchopathy are anatomical, functional features that are beyond the competence of these doctors, a visit to other specialists, for example, a pulmonologist or cardiologist, may be required.
Doctors have developed several methods of treating snoring in men. Most of them can be effectively used at home.
Most often, an integrated approach is used:
- adherence to a diet;
- performing gymnastics;
- drug therapy;
- surgical intervention;
- the use of various devices;
- folk ways;
- use of an orthopedic pillow.
Diet and exercise
Diet and regular exercise can be of great help in treating various forms of ronchopathy . These methods are available to everyone, if a person suffering from ronchopathy has a certain willpower, they can significantly improve the quality of sleep and life.
The diet is aimed at reducing excess weight and airway secretions. It includes:
- Decrease in daily calorie intake. It is recommended to monitor the calorie content of food, not to go beyond the established norms.
- Reducing serving size.
- Fractional food. With six meals a day, subject to a corresponding reduction in portions, the metabolism improves, the work of the gastrointestinal tract is normalized.
- Decreased intake of fats and carbohydrates.
Regular performance of a special gymnastic complex will reduce the intensity of snoring, and in some cases completely defeat it. Its main task is to restore muscle tone.
The complex may include the following exercises:
- Pronounce vowel sounds several times with maximum tension of the palatine muscles.
- Pinch the pencil with your lips, squeeze them tightly and do not unclench for 5 minutes.
- Try to reach the bottom of the chin with your tongue, feel the tension at the base of your tongue. Fix this position for 2 seconds. The exercise should be done twice a day in a series of 30 times.
- Perform 10 gripping or biting movements with the jaw.
- Move the lower jaw in different directions.
- While creating resistance with your hand, try to open and close your jaws. The mouth should be closed. Repeat 30 times. The exercise is done twice a day.
- Squeeze a wooden or plastic stick with your mouth for 3 minutes before bed.
- Twice a day, roll the air in your mouth from cheek to cheek. In one session, 40-45 rolls should be done .
- With clean hands, massage the palate muscles deep in your mouth. This exercise can induce vomiting, so it is important to do it on an empty stomach. The duration of one session is 3 minutes, it is advisable to repeat this exercise for 15 days.
Medicines for the treatment of ronchopathy include drugs aimed at reducing snoring, treating diseases that contribute to its occurrence.
Various sprays are used to reduce the intensity of snoring. These are mainly dietary supplements. Among them are:
- Dr. Snore. It contains glycerin, pure water, sunflower oil, olive oil, sesame oil, herbal extracts, lecithin, vitamins. It improves the tone of the palate , relieves swelling of the mucous membrane, helps to strengthen the palatine tissues.
- Asonor contains distilled water, potassium sorbate , glycerin, polysorbate 90, sodium chloride, reduces mucosal edema, moisturizes, softens cavities.
- Silence . It contains soy extract, distilled water, essential oils. This drug moisturizes the mouth and throat. Its ability to thin phlegm allows it to be used to treat bronchitis, tracheitis.
In addition to sprays, snoring is also treated with pills, such as SnorStop . This preparation contains a variety of plants, minerals and proteins. One of the contraindications to its use is apnea, so it must be used with extreme caution.
Sprays, anti-snoring tablets are dietary supplements, so in some cases they can cause allergies.
In order to eliminate ronchopathy and reduce the intensity of its manifestation, it is necessary to cure the disease that causes it:
- In case of an allergic reaction that causes chronic rhinitis, swelling of the mucous membrane, it is necessary to take antihistamines.
- In the case of infectious rhinitis, vasoconstrictor drops are prescribed, the action of which is aimed at reducing mucus secretion and facilitating nasal breathing.
- To eliminate long-term allergic and inflammatory processes, hormonal sprays are used.
- For infectious diseases accompanied by inflammation, high fever, the doctor may prescribe antibiotics.
- Xenical is used to combat obesity .
Regardless of the causes of snoring in men, only a doctor can prescribe the necessary treatment, the necessary drugs. Self-medication is not allowed, it can worsen a person’s condition.
Special devices help a man to get rid of snoring. Their action is different, but, nevertheless, each of them can effectively cope with ronchopathy :
- Palatal implants are placed on the soft palate. A special insert strengthens the muscles, prevents vibration. The use of this device has contraindications:
- anatomical features of the lower jaw;
- severe sleep apnea;
- diseases of the nasopharynx.
- Mouthpieces (mouth guards) change the position of the jaws in relation to each other, expand the lumen of the airways. However, sleeping with your mouth open is unpleasant, and it can also lead to a feeling of dryness of the mucous membrane. Contraindications to use are:
- lack of teeth;
- gum problems;
- acute rhinitis;
- broken bite.
- Jaw straps fix the lower jaw and prevent the mouth from opening. Their use is contraindicated in rhinitis.
- Devices for fixing the tongue. Before going to bed, it is placed between the teeth and lips, and a special spoon is attached to the tongue. The retainer does not interfere with the passage of air during sleep. It is mainly effective for those who sleep on the back.
- Nose clips are thin dilators that fit into the nostrils. They open the air passages of the nose and improve ventilation of the lungs.
- Another means of widening the nasal passages are nasal stickers. They are impregnated with special compounds and can moisturize the mucous membrane, reduce puffiness. The main contraindication is the presence of allergies to the components.
- Silicone masks, covering the nose or the entire nasolabial triangular, are applied to the face before the person falls asleep. At the back of the head, they are fixed with straps. Another type of mask is fixed directly in the nose, leaving the face completely free. Using hoses, the mask is connected to a compressor that supplies air.
Snoring devices can be bought at pharmacies, but some, such as mouth guards or belts, are best made to order based on individual characteristics.
Getting rid of snoring with surgery
Surgical intervention in the treatment of ronchopathy is aimed at removing or correcting anatomical defects and pathological phenomena in the nose and throat. Surgical methods allow removing tonsils, adenoids, and correcting the nasal septum.
The following surgical methods are currently common:
- using a laser;
- the traditional method using a scalpel;
- radio frequency method.
One of the types of surgical intervention is septoplasty . This is an operation in which the features of the nasal septum are corrected. During this procedure, the cartilage tissue that is preventing the septum from returning to its normal position is removed or corrected. The operation is performed through the nostrils under anesthesia. The need and duration of hospitalization depends on the individual characteristics of the person.
A type of septoplasty is rhinoseptoplasty . During this operation, the shape of the nose is also corrected.
Contraindications for septoplasty :
- violation of blood clotting;
- oncological diseases;
- severe diabetes mellitus;
- infectious diseases.
Treatment of snoring in men with folk remedies is effective for mild ronchopathy , not complicated by apnea. It is better to consult a doctor before using them. Here are some recipes to help reduce snoring and restore nighttime rest:
- Blanch finely chopped onions in olive oil and mix with fresh carrots. This salad should be taken one hour before lunch every day.
- To prepare the herbal decoction, take 1 tablespoon of black elderberry, 2 tablespoons of burdock, a teaspoon of horsetail and cinquefoil root. The infusion is taken one hour before meals.
- Breathing will become freer, the swelling of the nasal mucous membranes will decrease if you instill 2 drops of sea buckthorn oil in each nostril 3 hours before bedtime.
- If snoring occurs due to inflammatory diseases of the mouth and larynx, it can be cured by taking an infusion of oak bark. For its preparation, you can take one tablespoon of bark and 500 ml of water.
Traditional methods allow you to treat snoring in men at home.
Ways to prevent snoring
A healthy lifestyle is the cornerstone of the prevention of the occurrence of ronchopathy in men. Physical activity, exercise, and proper nutrition can help control and stabilize weight.
Timely treatment of chronic diseases will avoid complications. Refusal of bad habits helps to maintain the tone of the muscles of the respiratory system. Being attentive to your health reduces the risk of developing ronchopathy .
The complexity and complexity of the problem requires careful attention to snoring in men, its causes and treatment. Ronchopathy disrupts sleep, leads to the occurrence of various dangerous diseases, worsens health, disrupts cognitive processes, and spoils relationships with loved ones. Timely treatment and the use of preventive measures will eliminate snoring and restore normal life processes.