Insomnia after drinking is a condition caused by exhaustion of the body due to the intake of large doses of alcohol for a long time. It can manifest itself in the form of sleep disturbance and even its complete absence, which is accompanied by hallucinations. To normalize a night’s rest, it is important to take care of removing toxins from the body and the selection of suitable medicines.
Why does insomnia occur after drinking?
After drinking, many people face the problem of insomnia. This condition lasts up to 7-12 days, with the greatest difficulty with sleep, according to reviews, occurring in the first 4 days.
Sleep disturbance is associated with the ingestion of large amounts of ethyl alcohol. This substance, as well as its decay products, causes severe intoxication of tissues and internal organs. In addition, alcohol negatively affects the functioning of the central nervous system: due to high doses of alcohol, the brain is in a too excited state. It also extends to areas that are responsible for normal sleep.
Penetrating into the body, ethyl alcohol provokes the onset of degenerative processes in the cerebral cortex. The situation is aggravated by oxygen starvation caused by poisoning, and the subsequent death of neurons.
Important! If you do not stop drinking alcohol in a timely manner and do not take measures to remove toxins, irreversible changes in the functioning of the nervous system may occur.
After a person comes out of a long binge, toxins remain in the body that adversely affect the functioning of internal organs. It also interferes with proper rest.
According to clinical studies, alcohol has a very negative effect on sleep. At first, when a person is just starting to drink alcohol, they relax him and contribute to quick and easy falling asleep. This effect disappears after 3-7 days of continuous alcohol intake.
Ethanol, in case of constant use, acts as follows:
• reduces the total duration of sleep;
• disrupts the continuity of night rest;
• shortens the slow phase of sleep, during which the restoration of organ functions occurs;
• stimulates the appearance of restless legs syndrome, periodic movements of limbs during sleep, which can shake even after waking up;
• causes anxiety, anxiety, tension;
• contributes to the fact that sleep becomes superficial and very sensitive;
• provokes the appearance of nightmares and hallucinations.
Also in alcoholism, if alcohol is present in the blood during rest, there is a high risk of injury. This is due to the fact that in sleep, against the background of alcohol penetration into tissues, the functions of the spinal cord, which is responsible for muscle tone and reflexes, are suppressed. Under such conditions, a person, rising to his feet after waking up, may fall, losing coordination, and get serious damage to bones, muscles, ligaments.
Insomnia caused by long-term alcohol intake develops faster and is most difficult to treat in elderly and senile people.
The main types of insomnia associated with alcohol intake
There are several types of post-binge sleep disorders:
• Difficulty falling asleep. A drunk person cannot fall asleep for a long time, no matter how hard he tries. He is worried about headache and muscle pain, disturbing thoughts arise, he is shaking from the cold. If you still manage to fall asleep, then this, as a rule, does not last long.
Due to the intermittency of night rest, a person feels bad after waking up, is not able to restore strength and lead an active lifestyle. Against this background, there are persistent headaches and aching joints.
• Superficial drowsiness. The person sleeps restlessly, with nightmares. He may fall asleep, but wakes up several times during the night. The condition is characterized by increased sleep sensitivity. Frequent awakenings can be caused by nightmares and the fact that a person is cold, an aggravated reaction to light and sounds, thirst, which usually accompanies a hangover and is associated with severe dehydration.
• Absolute insomnia. Occurs with constant drunkenness. With this type of disorder, a person either cannot fall asleep at all, or sleeps no longer than 3-5 minutes, waking up due to terrible dreams, he has a cold sweat. Hallucinations and panic attacks often occur. Absolute insomnia is a sign of a more serious condition – alcoholic delirium, or delirium tremens.
Prolonged sleep disturbances affect not only the physical, but also the mental state of a person. That is why it is important to deal with insomnia that has developed after binge with the involvement of specialists.
Drug treatment of insomnia after drinking
To get rid of persistent insomnia caused by prolonged use of alcohol, you should contact a specialist to select a drug. Treatment is carried out using several groups of drugs.
• Against headaches, muscle pain – “Aspirin”. “Citramon” and “Paracetomol” are not recommended to be taken
, since these pills create an additional load on the liver, which, with alcoholism, is exposed to a powerful effect of toxins.
• To relieve the symptoms of withdrawal symptoms (withdrawal) – “Fenibut”, “Mexidol”. They improve cerebral circulation, reduce tension, anxiety and fears, due to which they have a positive effect on sleep.
• From intoxication of the body – the drug “Zorex” and ordinary activated charcoal. Charcoal tablets are quite effective, but you should not take more of them than required. The dosage is determined based on the ratio of 1 tablet per 10 kg of weight. Exceeding the dosage can cause diarrhea and dehydration.
• With trembling, alcoholic tremor, when the patient’s hands are shaking, – “Propranolol”, “Anaprilin”, “Primidon”.
• To improve sleep – sedatives and sedatives: “Afobazol”, valerian, “Novopassit”, “Glycine”, “Motherwort Forte”. You can take them in small doses at bedtime, but the effect will be noticeable not earlier than after a few days.
Antidepressants and tranquilizers of the benzodiazepine group – Phenazepam, Diazepam, Elenium, Seduxen and others – can only be used if they are prescribed by a doctor, strictly according to a written prescription.
“Corvalol” and “Validol”: is it possible or not?
Over-the-counter, readily available drugs “Corvalol” and “Validol” are often used as a means to combat insomnia. Many advise taking them for sleep disorders due to binge, but it must be borne in mind that their use in parallel with alcohol intake and with a hangover is completely unacceptable.
Corvalol contains a substance that is incompatible with ethanol, since it enhances its toxic effect. The combination of this drug with alcohol can cause liver damage and disruption of the brain, coma.
As for Validol, it is forbidden to use it immediately after drinking alcohol and in the first days after drinking. Their combination adversely affects the state of the heart and blood vessels. There may be an exacerbation of existing diseases and even death due to increased stress on the heart muscle.
Call a narcologist
Long-term alcohol intake and the associated insomnia can lead to serious mental disorders. If a person has severe sleep disorders and a sharp deterioration in well-being, constriction of the pupils, convulsions, speech and coordination disorders, it is recommended to call a narcologist at home. He can help stabilize the condition of an alcoholic.
The specialist puts a dropper, which cleanses the body of the toxic decomposition products of ethyl alcohol. The composition of the drug that is administered to the patient may include:
• solution of glucose, sodium chloride;
• substances that help purify the blood;
• sedatives and hypnotics;
• drugs for relief of withdrawal symptoms and seizures;
• vitamins to stimulate metabolic processes.
This manipulation allows you to remove the symptoms of alcohol intoxication. There is an improvement in general well-being, sleep improves, anxiety and hallucinations disappear. The narcologist also draws up an individual scheme for stabilizing a person’s condition, gives recommendations for correcting the daily routine. If necessary, the patient is prescribed injections for violations of the functions of internal organs.
Folk remedies for insomnia after drinking
The effects of prolonged alcohol intake and the insomnia caused by this can be dealt with using folk methods.
The following remedies will help to overcome the consequences of binge:
• Decoction based on hops. You need to take dry raw materials in the amount of 2-3 tablespoons, pour 200 ml of boiled water. Leave the infusion for 10-15 minutes under the lid, then strain, add a tablespoon of natural honey, mix. Take a decoction before meals three times a day.
• Infusion of mint, lemon balm and motherwort. This recipe helps to calm the excited nervous system. In addition, herbal decoction is a good sleeping pill. To prepare it, you need to take raw materials in equal proportions, grind. Then pour 3 tablespoons of the vegetable mixture with a liter of boiled water, bring to a boil, leave covered for 30 minutes. Take a decoction every 3 hours, 50-100 ml at a time.
• Pumpkin drink. To prepare, take a glass of peeled and finely chopped pumpkin, pour a liter of water and boil for 15 minutes. Then wipe the pumpkin mass to get juice with pulp, add a teaspoon of honey. Take twice a day, 200 ml.
• A decoction of peony roots deviating. It will also help overcome the effects of binge drinking and insomnia. Take a teaspoon of raw materials, pour 200 ml of boiling water, leave for 15 minutes. Drink without adding honey or sugar.
It is possible to treat an alcoholic suffering from post-binge insomnia at home only if his condition is not too severe.
It is recommended to drink as much liquid as possible: this will help to quickly remove toxic substances from the body. In teas, herbal infusions, you can add a little natural honey.
An interesting way to improve sleep after drinking is like spreading chestnuts on a sick bed. They should also be hung from the ceiling above the bed.
How to help yourself at home
The following measures will help to overcome the symptoms of intoxication and dysfunction of the nervous system:
• Drinking as much liquid as possible. This is not only pure water, but also various sour compotes, fruit drinks, weak teas. It is better to refuse coffee. Do not neglect fermented milk drinks – natural yogurt, fermented baked milk, kefir.
• Cleansing the body with enemas. Decoctions of medicinal plants can be added to the liquid. Enemas stimulate the process of digestion, help cleanse the body of toxins. Improving the functions of internal organs contributes to the normalization of sleep.
• Taking drugs “Smecta” or “Almagel”, which allow you to get rid of severe pain in the stomach.
• Cold and hot shower. The alternation of temperature regimes tones the body and trains the vessels, contributing to their strengthening and better blood flow through them.
• Staying outdoors, doing sports without overexertion. This will create a state of mild fatigue and help you sleep without taking sleeping pills.
• Hike to the bath or sauna. It is not recommended to do this in the first days after quitting the binge. You can visit the bath only if there are no problems with the work of the heart and blood vessels. This is a well-known folk method that helps to remove the remnants of toxins and alcohol and tone the body.
After drinking, be sure to eat, even if you do not feel like it. The food should be light, vegetables, fruits, low-fat chicken broth will do.
Withdrawal syndrome after a long drinking period is manifested by numerous symptoms that worsen the quality of human life. Insomnia is one such manifestation. It can be cured with the help of medicines and folk recipes. You can take medications only after consulting a doctor, as they can aggravate a person’s condition, and in some cases cause death due to increased stress on the heart and blood vessels, liver.