Cramps are not just an unpleasant sensation, but a real problem for many people who experience this symptom on a daily basis. If during the day the spasm only causes discomfort and interferes with work, then at night this worsens sleep and leads to insomnia. Consider why he brings his hands together at night, which causes cramps in the limbs.
What is a spasm
A cramp or spasm is an involuntary and uncontrolled muscle contraction that is accompanied by aching pain. During a spasm, it is impossible to control the limbs, which is why the only way out is to wait out the attack.
This muscle contraction is the body’s response to a stimulus. These are low temperature (cramp in cold water), illness, stress and much more. The following are the main prerequisites for the appearance of a spasm:
- brain diseases;
- diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- damage to one or more nerves;
- excessive physical activity;
- kidney disease in a chronic form;
- severe dehydration;
- last trimester of pregnancy;
- an excess of phosphates;
- oxygen poisoning (too much breathing);
- lack of vitamins;
- thyroid disease;
- action of medicines.
Often the cause is an excess of CNS stimulants in the blood (caffeine and nicotine), as well as hypothermia. If you played sports before the attack, then most likely the “culprit” is a pinched nerve that provokes a spasm. Serious health problems are characterized by an abundance of symptoms, and seizures only complement the overall picture.
In some cases, seizures appear due to poisoning of the body. People who regularly use alcohol or drugs experience spontaneous muscle contraction. And also similar provoke viral diseases. In the process of life, microorganisms release a large amount of toxins into the blood, which leads to intoxication.
Rarely enough, limbs reduce due to a lack or excess of minerals (calcium and magnesium). This is associated with a poor diet, or with dysfunction of the digestive tract.
Spasm is difficult to confuse with the manifestation of another disease. At the same time, convulsive muscle contraction varies in certain cases, which helps to make a diagnosis.
- strong muscle tension, a manifestation of relief;
- lack of control over the limbs;
- the brush is clenched into a fist or straightened as much as possible;
- sharp sharp or pulling pain;
- skin changes color (in case of poisoning);
- spasm is replaced by relaxation, twitching occurs (with problems with the central nervous system).
Additional symptoms associated with convulsions serve as an indicator of a serious illness. If during an attack it gets dark in the eyes, it rises in pressure, nausea and dizziness appear, then you have problems with the nervous system. With rare exceptions, this is associated with severe stress.
What to do with a cramp of the hands
If spontaneous muscle contraction does not cause serious discomfort, then it is enough to wait out the attack. Do not panic or call the hospital if you are sure that you do not have serious health problems. In this case, you should assess your condition, and in case of dizziness or nausea, seek help.
If the symptom occurs at night while sleeping
If you woke up at night from a spasm in your hands, then the following tips will help alleviate the condition at the time of the attack:
- while lying in bed, raise your arms to the top, bend and unbend your fingers several times;
- rotate your wrists alternately to the right and left;
- clasping your fingers “in the lock”, raise and lower your hands. Change the grip of the fingers and perform the exercise again;
- after relaxing the hands, shake your hands several times for maximum relaxation;
- rub your palms until you feel warm, and massage each finger;
- perform exercises with a massage ball for hands: squeeze the ball, holding it with one and then with the other hand, roll it between the palms. Such manipulations create a point effect on spasmodic muscles, which leads to their relaxation.
If the symptom occurs during the day while awake
First aid for spasms will help you avoid getting into a dangerous situation on the road or at work. It is important to remember that this is only a temporary measure, and not a complete disposal of the problem.
- With monotonous work with the hands or forearm. If you constantly perform the same action, then spasm is a standard symptom of overtired limbs. To exclude an attack, it is necessary to do short exercises every half an hour. It is enough to stretch the hands, shoulders and forearm to improve blood circulation.
- With a static load on the hands. It is typical for truckers who are forced to keep their limbs in one position for hours. At the time of the spasm, in order not to get into an accident, you should quickly prick the area of \u200b\u200bthe arm. You can use a needle, any iron tool or a clothespin. The main thing is that you do not break the skin and do not get severely injured. It is also necessary to lower your hands down to normalize blood flow. With a spasm of the hand, rhythmic flexion and extension of the little fingers helps.
- When the hands are raised for a long time. Builders and assemblers suffer from spasms in their hands, as their limbs are higher than the heart. Muscles are poorly supplied with blood, which is why they lack oxygen. In this case, it is enough to lower your hands down and knead rhythmically.
If spasms and twitching of the hands have become a daily problem for you, then you should seek help from specialists. There are several treatment options that can solve the problem.
Seizures are a specific symptom. Therefore, various drugs are used that help relieve pain, relax muscles, or eliminate the lack of minerals.
|” Magnefar B6″|
” Magvit “
” Magnemax “
” Magnicum “
|Elimination of magnesium deficiency|
” Calceos “
” Binocal “
“Beresh calcium plus D3”
|Elimination of calcium deficiency|
|” Asparkam “|
” Panangin “
|Elimination of lack of potassium after the use of diuretics|
|Valerian tincture alcohol.|
” Alluna “
” Valdispert “
|« Curantyl »|
« Dipyridamole »
« Nikoshpan »
|Normalization of blood circulation|
|” Spazmalgon “|
” Baralgetas “
“Baralgin” ” Renalgan “
” Reonalgon “
|Relieve spasm of smooth muscles|
Drugs help to partially solve the problem with seizures. It should be remembered that it is forbidden to use them at high temperature, viral diseases (intoxication), as well as with epilepsy.
All prescription medications must be prescribed by a doctor. Before the examination, you should not buy medicines that reduce / increase blood pressure, act on the heart or central nervous system. Be aware that some pills also cause cramps (a side effect). It is dangerous to take medications without an accurate diagnosis.
If you do not want to buy expensive medicines, or for health reasons you cannot take them, then turn to traditional medicine.
- Mustard plasters. A cheap way to warm up and relax the muscles of the limbs. They improve blood flow by providing oxygen to the muscles. The duration of the procedure is 15 minutes.
- Pepper plaster. It warms up many times better than mustard plasters, therefore it is more effective. However, the chance of skin burns increases.
- Linden infusion. A half-liter jar is filled with freshly picked flowers, poured with boiling water and tightly closed. After 20 days, the infusion can be consumed. Reception scheme – 1 tbsp. l. three times a day before meals.
- Phytotherapy. Teas based on linden or chamomile help get rid of cramps. When taken before bed, they quickly calm the central nervous system and improve the quality of sleep.
- Lemon compress. A fresh high-quality fruit is cut into several slices, and the skin of the hands is rubbed with juice. Then wrapped with gauze or other material that allows air to pass through. The procedure is carried out before going to bed.
Massage helps to relax smooth muscles, as well as to eliminate such a problem as a pinched nerve. In this case, the action is directed to the limbs and the shoulder girdle, so the therapeutic effect will appear only if you do not have diseases of the internal organs.
It is better to seek help from a specialist in order to achieve a quick effect. At the same time, at home, you can also do a massage that will relax the muscles.
- Gliding movements, lightly touching the skin, are carried out from the hand to the shoulder.
- They quickly rub the neck and shoulder girdle, excluding strong pressure. Then rub in a spiral, touching first with the inside of the palm, and then with the edge. After active rubbing, they move on to slow stroking.
- Knead all the muscles from the hand to the shoulder, rhythmically pressing on the skin with the inside of the palm.
- Finish with light stroking of the limbs.
For best results, rubbing ointments are used, which have a warming effect. Pain relievers should not be used as they do not improve blood flow to the hands.
You can combine business with pleasure and take a bath with the addition of salt, essential oils or medicinal herbs. This procedure performs several functions at once:
- calms the nervous system;
- improves blood flow;
- positively affects mood;
- relaxes the muscles.
The bath must be taken for a limited amount of time (no more than 20 minutes) so that dehydration or a sharp increase in blood pressure does not occur. Before using additives (salts, oils, etc.) it is recommended to make sure that you do not have allergies.
Thermal procedures are prohibited under the following conditions:
- immediately after a meal.
As additives, unflavored sea salt, lavender, pine needles, Indian onion, tea tree essential oil are used.
Tasty and healthy are different things, so the diet is often saturated with foods that are poor in vitamins and minerals. The problem is especially acute in winter and early spring, which can cause spasms of the hands or other parts of the body.
Since convulsions are provoked by a lack of calcium, potassium, magnesium, the following products are introduced into the diet:
- natural kefir;
- dried apricots;
- rice bran;
- nuts (hazelnuts, walnuts, peanuts).
Foods that contain a record amount of vitamins:
- A – duck liver;
- B1 – pistachios;
- B2 – pine nuts;
- B3 – beef liver;
- B4 – chicken eggs;
- B6 – pine nuts;
- B8 – germinated wheat;
- B9 – peanuts;
- B12 – fried beef liver;
- C – wild rose;
- D – mackerel;
- E – wheat germ oil;
- P – lemon peel;
- RR – peanut.
Exclude from the diet foods that worsen the condition or wash out vitamins and trace elements:
- strong tea;
- extra dark chocolate.
Nutrition should be complete so that you do not experience a lack of proteins or carbohydrates. To do this, regularly eat soups, cereals, as well as fresh vegetables and herbs.
Prevention of seizures
Preventive measures are aimed at eliminating spontaneous muscle contractions due to malfunctions in the body or the influence of external factors.
- Do not overexert yourself during training and physical work. Stretch your limbs regularly.
- Wear gloves during cold weather.
- If the work is related to fine motor skills, then you should take breaks every 45 minutes. While resting, rhythmically squeeze and unclench your fingers.
- Refuse to use diuretics and laxatives unless prescribed by your doctor.
- Drink during the day at least 1.5-2 liters of pure water. Tea, juice, coffee, and other drinks are perceived by the body as food, so they cannot quickly replenish the water balance.