Many consider adult snoring to be quite normal and do not think about the consequences. Few see a doctor for this reason. But when parents hear a child snoring, they are seriously alarmed. Some try to treat the baby with traditional medicine methods, but only a doctor can accurately determine the etiology of such a condition.
According to doctors, snoring in a child or in an adult occurs due to difficulty breathing through the nasal passages due to the formed mechanical obstruction. During sleep, relaxation of all muscles, including the palatine, is observed. The palate is a septum that prevents the ingested food from entering the respiratory system. When the palatine muscles relax, it begins to vibrate and make a sound.
The cause of snoring in a child in a dream can be various pathological conditions. This phenomenon can be temporary, rarely permanent.
How can you tell it from wheezing or wheezing? It happens that snoring in a child is caused by an illness or some kind of external factors. Before you go to the doctor, you just need to observe the baby and his breathing in a dream in order to understand the etiology.
The following factors can cause baby snoring during sleep:
- ENT diseases;
- indoor air (microclimate);
- the presence of adenoids in the nasal cavity;
- the presence of an incorrect bite;
- snoring in infants due to the accumulation of mucus in the nasopharynx.
You need to be able to distinguish when baby snoring is not dangerous or, on the contrary, requires urgent treatment. To do this, it is necessary to consider each possible reason separately.
The phenomenon is dangerous because it can cause respiratory arrest (apnea syndrome), which lasts more than 10 seconds and repeats every two minutes.
Snoring with angina or after an illness is caused by the persistence of swelling of the larynx. This phenomenon is not dangerous, it can be observed with a cold or runny nose and occur as a result of any respiratory disease. Especially strong snoring appears during sleep with rhinitis due to nasal congestion. Children’s snoring in such cases will pass over time, it is necessary to cure the underlying disease.
When the baby does not breathe through his nose, day or night, then there is a possibility of the presence of adenoids. They arise by the proliferation of lymphoid tissue, as a result of which there is a strong increase in the tonsils. Sometimes such a pathology does not respond to treatment, often they are removed by surgery.
With a regular occurrence, it is necessary to start with an examination of the baby by an ENT doctor . The cause of snoring in a child can be not only adenoids or a runny nose, it also manifests itself when:
- curvature of the nasal septum;
- the formation of polyps in the nasal cavity;
- the presence of a foreign object in the nasal passages;
- incipient bronchial asthma;
With laryngitis at night, not only snoring can occur, but also laryngeal stenosis. Such manifestations lead to the development of respiratory failure. If urgent measures are not taken, the consequences can be irreversible. In this case, children are shown to breathe by inhalation using a nebulizer. But all solutions for inhalation must be selected by a doctor.
Children’s snoring caused by diseases of the ENT organs is treated with:
- Rinsing the nose with saline solutions. The ready-made solution can be bought at a pharmacy or made yourself at home. It is necessary to dissolve a small spoonful of ordinary salt in a glass of boiled cooled water. The finished solution is recommended to be instilled 3-4 drops into each nasal passage three times a day. After rinsing, vasoconstrictor drugs can be instilled to eliminate congestion.
- Irrigation of tonsils with antiseptic solutions. Such funds destroy pathogens, relieve inflammation and swelling from the tonsils.
- Antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory drugs. As directed by a doctor, you can take them orally.
- Aromatic plasters. They not only alleviate the condition, effectively cope with nasal congestion, but are also absolutely safe to use. They do not cause any harm to the child’s body. As Dr. Komarovsky advises, it is good to use such medicinal patches after a year. But he does not recommend using them for babies. It is enough to stick the plaster to the baby’s clothes or somewhere nearby, for example, on the back of the crib.
It is important to carry out timely treatment and prevent the development of various complications.
If a child at 2-3 years old suddenly began to snore in a dream, then it is necessary to analyze the conditions in which he sleeps. Dry and dusty air can dry out the nasal mucosa. The body develops this reaction in order to protect and prevent the ingress of various harmful microorganisms. In this case, dry mucus puts a mechanical barrier to natural breathing.
To eliminate the phenomenon caused by dryness and dustiness of the air, it is necessary:
- Carry out wet cleaning of the premises every day.
- Ventilate several times a day for air access.
- Install a humidifier to maintain proper humidity in the bedroom.
- Monitor the air temperature. It should not exceed 20 degrees.
- Give the child a saline solution to moisturize the nasal mucosa.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
Tip: The room where the baby sleeps is not recommended to be lined with carpets and laid with soft toys. They are the “dust collectors” that cause the baby to snore at night.
Snoring cannot be avoided in the presence of adenoids in a child. It is these pathological growths that are more common in children from 2 years of age. In the presence of adenoids, they often suffer from viral diseases, regular inflammatory processes localized in the upper respiratory tract. This pathology interferes with the protective function of the body, interferes with healthy sleep.
There are three stages of adenoid growth:
- The initial stage is characterized by sudden nocturnal snoring. Often, parents do not attach importance to this phenomenon, since the child has a cold, and he cannot breathe through the nose due to a runny nose. If the baby also snores after therapy, this indicates an increase in the tonsils.
- The second stage is caused by significant growth of the adenoids, which leads to nasal congestion, constant snoring. The child breathes through the mouth day and night. The mucous membrane of the oropharynx dries up, loses its ability to prevent viruses and microbes from entering the body. The baby is sick more often, he is already worried about not only snoring with angina, but tonsillitis, runny nose, pharyngitis can develop.
- The third stage requires immediate treatment. Lymphoid tissue grows, completely blocks the nasal passages. The child not only suffers from obstruction of air through the nose, but also develops hearing loss.
This ailment with minor growths of lymphoid tissue is eliminated with the help of drug therapy. Indications for surgery are the baby’s anxiety during sleep due to obstruction of air through the nasal passages. After the operation to remove the adenoids in the child, the phenomenon disappears, and the state of health significantly improves.
With obesity, the load on the entire body of the baby increases. The cardiovascular system and respiratory organs suffer. Fatty deposits constrict the passages of the upper respiratory tract, causing snoring in children during sleep.
To cure the pathology caused by obesity, parents need to:
- reduce the amount of food consumed;
- put the child on a diet;
- to take the kid with any kind of sport;
- to captivate the child with active games.
To reduce excess weight and develop a balanced diet, it is recommended to consult a dietitian doctor.
It is important to know that obesity in children can be observed due to the development of diabetes. This is a serious disease that not only causes snoring during sleep in a child, but also becomes the cause of the development of severe pathologies, up to and including death. Therefore, parents need to monitor the weight of their child, in no case should they overfeed.
Insufficient development, displacement of the lower jaw back can cause pathology in the baby. During the horizontal position, the uvula touches the root of the tongue, interferes with the passage of air. This contributes to the occurrence of characteristic sounds due to the narrowing of the airway lumen and vibration of the uvula.
To eliminate the cause, you need to see an orthopedic dentist. He uses different methods to correct the bite, which are divided into toddlers up to three years old and adolescents over 12 years old.
The dentist should be consulted when a child is found to have:
- involuntary extension of the lower jaw;
- breathing through the mouth;
- large distance between the teeth;
- drooping of the upper jaw;
- speech problem.
The sooner you see a doctor, the sooner he will eliminate the true cause of baby snoring.
Snoring in babies
Many parents go to the doctor with complaints that their baby snores. This phenomenon in a newborn should not be confused with sniffling. Usually babies have a physiological feature – this is a narrow nasal passage. This sniffling is not considered a pathology.
Still, you should watch the baby. Sleep has two stages – superficial and deep. Usually they should alternate, but due to snoring, this harmony can be violated, which affects the well-being of the baby. He becomes moody, aggressive, tired.
Snoring during teething is accompanied by the accumulation of mucus in the nasal parts of the infant. Treatment in this case is not required. Teething syndrome is not a medical condition.
To facilitate breathing, it is enough to regularly humidify the air, instill saline solutions into the nose, and suck mucus from the nasal passages of a newborn with an aspirator.
There are times when the phenomenon is caused by various congenital pathologies.
- improper structure of the nasopharynx;
- curvature of the intranasal septum;
- narrow nasal passages;
- relatively small lower jaw.
These congenital pathologies require surgical intervention.
Other causes of the phenomenon:
- Rolandic epilepsy;
- allergic reaction;
- enlargement of the thymus gland.
Pathology is detected from the age of two and manifests itself during sleep. Convulsions cover only one side of the face, they affect the tongue, pharynx, and lead to increased salivation. Saliva, getting into the upper respiratory tract, interferes with the passage of air, becomes the cause of pathology. Convulsive syndrome occurs during sleep and lasts a maximum of three minutes. Parents rarely notice these signs.
Rolandic epilepsy disappears as they grow older, but the pathology requires medical supervision.
The risk group includes babies prone to allergic reactions. In this case, inflammation of the mucous membranes of the nasopharynx is caused not by pathological microorganisms, but by various allergens.
They may have intolerance to:
- pollen of plants;
- food products;
- household dust;
In fact, allergies can occur to anything. The reaction of intolerance is manifested in the form of skin rashes, swelling of the nasopharyngeal mucosa, shortness of breath.
Urgent measures must be taken to eliminate allergy symptoms. First of all, it is necessary to exclude the child’s contact with the allergen, to give an antihistamine. In case of severe currents, urgently deliver the child to the nearest medical facility.
After relief of signs of an allergic reaction, nasal breathing is restored, snoring disappears.
This organ of the endocrine system is directly related to the processes of the formation of immunity and the growth of the child. With an increase in the thymus gland, compression of the nerve endings and large vessels is observed. This leads to difficulty breathing in breathing.
When there is cause for concern
Child snoring, which occurs at times, is not dangerous. But when the baby snores regularly, while experiencing discomfort, and as a result does not get enough sleep, it is necessary to show him to the doctor. Indeed, during such a state, he may develop apnea syndrome and cause oxygen starvation of all organs.
Signs of sleep apnea can be suspected if the baby:
- irritable, aggressive, capricious;
- suffers from headaches;
- complains of fatigue;
- does not sleep well, wakes up often, sees nightmares in a dream;
- lags behind peers in growth and development.
Often, a child has a violation of attention, which is reflected in his behavior. He suffers from nocturnal enuresis. If such symptoms are detected, parents are obliged to consult a doctor as soon as possible.
“Sleep apnea” statistically develops in 3% of children who snore at night. This phenomenon can be deadly and cannot be ignored.
The child should be observed not only during sleep, but also throughout the day in order to understand what caused this condition. Maybe he coughs while snoring and the cause was a cold. Very often, this phenomenon can occur due to infection after an illness.
Sometimes parents may not understand the true cause of the pathology, so it is recommended to consult a doctor. It is the specialist who will be able to determine the etiology of such a phenomenon, will tell you how to treat the pathology.
How to stop snoring
Snoring, which is not a consequence of viral diseases and various pathologies, can be eliminated by some recommendations:
- It is necessary to give the child the most natural position during sleep. It is advisable to choose an orthopedic mattress, choose a pillow high enough.
- Lay the child so that he falls asleep on his side. Snoring is more common when babies sleep on their backs.
- Wet cleaning should be carried out daily, the room should be ventilated.
- Instill saline solutions into the child’s nose to moisturize the mucous membrane in order to prevent overdrying .
There are medications that can eliminate snoring in a child. This could be:
- Snorex , which consists of natural ingredients and does not cause any harm to the body. After application, the drug acts instantly. Its uniqueness lies in the fact that it eliminates the signs of snoring, at the same time affects the cause of its occurrence.
- MesleepGood is a certified tonic and stabilizing agent. Thanks to these qualities, after its use, snoring does not interfere with the baby throughout the night. The product consists of natural substances and acts safely on the body.
- Anti- snoring remedy , which effectively treats snoring caused by narrowing of the nasal passages. It is not a medicine, but refers to silicone reflexology remedies. Anti-snoring has a positive effect on the reflex centers of the nasopharynx. There are restrictions on use, it is contraindicated for children under 2 years of age. To completely eliminate snoring during sleep, wear it for two weeks.
Any remedy used to stop snoring in a toddler should be discussed with a pediatrician. Choosing drugs yourself can lead to unpredictable results.
According to doctors, it is better to take measures to prevent the disease than to deal with its treatment.
Snoring prevention includes:
- increasing immunity by hardening, daily walks in the fresh air;
- balanced diet;
- humidifying the air in the baby’s room;
- moderate physical activity;
- selection of a comfortable bed;
- wearing the right clothing made from breathable materials.
- timely treatment of viral diseases.
Subject to all preventive requirements, the child will be healthy, no snoring will prevent him from sleeping well.
Snoring is manifested not only by shortness of breath, it affects the general condition of the child after waking up. He looks weakened, his concentration is impaired, his development slows down.
It is very important to establish the cause of childhood snoring and start treating the underlying disease. It is not necessary to allow the transition of the disease to a chronic form, it is more difficult to respond to therapy. Preventive measures are welcome, which are an integral part of the full life of the baby.