Fatigue and drowsiness are among the most common signs of pregnancy. From this moment on, the body of the future mother has to work for two, and there are not enough resources. But this is far from the only reason. What else causes drowsiness during early pregnancy, and how to deal with this condition? We tell.
Causes of sleepiness in early pregnancy
Very often in the first trimester of pregnancy, women complain of a lack of energy when performing even the simplest tasks. The desire to cover one’s eyes for at least half an hour overcomes everywhere, whether it’s a queue at the antenatal clinic or a meeting with the boss. Weakness and drowsiness during pregnancy appears due to many reasons:
- The main culprit of this condition is the hormone progesterone, which is responsible for maintaining the onset of pregnancy. One of the features of its action is the relaxation of the smooth muscles of the body. As a result, a decrease in blood pressure, increased fatigue and weakness. This is the main reason why lethargy occurs at the beginning of pregnancy.
- The next reason is a decrease in immunity, which is indispensable during this period. Otherwise, the body will begin to perceive the future baby as a foreign body and will begin to reject it. A decrease in protective functions allows you to save the pregnancy and allows the baby to develop in the womb. Weakness and drowsiness in this position is a completely normal condition.
- Also, drowsiness in the first trimester can provoke beriberi. And the nutrition is complete, and the diet is chosen very carefully, but vitamins are still not enough? This is understandable, because now the lion’s share of all useful substances and trace elements goes to the formation and growth of the unborn baby. Yes, and toxicosis leads to the fact that part of the vitamins is lost during vomiting and simply does not have time to be absorbed in the body.
- Do not discount the change in the usual mode of life. The woman had a set schedule that she followed day by day. Now the standard regime is beginning to change, new worries and troubles associated with expecting a child are added. A woman wants to know more about pregnancy, she is tormented by thoughts about how to properly present the good news to others, she needs to allocate time to visit a antenatal clinic. Such physical and emotional stress does not have the most favorable effect on well-being, which is why fatigue occurs.
Now it is clear why drowsiness during pregnancy begins early. It remains to figure out how to deal with this condition without tea and coffee harmful to the health of the future mother.
How to deal with sleepiness during pregnancy
Many are accustomed to the fact that the best remedy for sleep is a cup of aromatic coffee, invigorating with its smell alone. But caffeine is harmful to the baby, so this method is categorically not suitable for the expectant mother. But there is a whole list of other effective methods to improve well-being and cheer up during the day in the first weeks of pregnancy. Let’s take a closer look at each of them:
- Go to bed whenever possible. If your work schedule allows, try to increase the duration of your night’s sleep. It is also useful to carve out half an hour for sleep during the day. Even such a short rest will allow you to maintain cheerfulness until the evening.
- Watch the temperature and dress for the weather. If you are constantly cold, then drowsiness is guaranteed. And too high air temperature in the room will spoil the night’s sleep, which is why the next morning you will feel lethargic and not rested.
- Ventilate the apartment as much as possible. This is the third important tip. In a stuffy room, brain cells are less supplied with oxygen.
- Listen to your body. In the first days of pregnancy, your body is very sensitive to all changes and persistently points out its desires to you. During this period, you need to carefully listen to all its signs and clearly follow such instructions. I wanted to have a bite to eat – go and eat, thirsty – drink a glass of cool water, and if you want to sleep all day – it’s time to lie down and relax a little.
- Eat right. You need to eat often, but in small portions. Satiety promotes sleep, and on a full stomach, you are unlikely to be able to think about any business. And the composition of your portion is of great importance. Fresh vegetables, fruits, fish and lean meat will give your body a sufficient amount of useful trace elements, vitamins and energy. But sweet and fatty will require you to spend energy resources.
- Drink clean water without gas – this is one of the most important sources of energy for your body. It will be useful to add a slice of lemon or cucumber to it.
- Don’t give up sports. A marathon, exhausting workouts in the fitness room or power loads are, of course, contraindicated for you now. But morning exercises, swimming, Pilates or just walking will allow you not only to keep your body in good shape, but also relieve weakness and drowsiness.
- Do not neglect the offers of loved ones and friends to help you with housework or work. Husband offers to go to the store for shopping, and a friend promised to bring a report to work? Fine! You have time for yourself. Why not spend it on sleep?
Aromas of cheerfulness
During pregnancy, women should not drink coffee and lean on citrus fruits. But no one forbids sniffing them. The smell of coffee invigorates no less than the drink itself, and the aroma of lemon cannot cause an allergy in a baby after childbirth. So, if you constantly feel sleepy during pregnancy, keep a jar of coffee and a vase of oranges and lemon nearby.
Essential oils can also help fight fatigue. For these purposes, pine, spruce, juniper or the same citrus oil is suitable.
Sleepiness during pregnancy: when it’s time to sound the alarm
Have you already tried all the methods, but the eternal drowsiness does not go away? In this case, it is recommended to consult a doctor and undergo an examination. Anemia may be the cause of these symptoms. This is a dangerous condition in which the supply of oxygen and nutrients to the fetus deteriorates.
Anemia requires not only a careful approach to nutrition, but also drug therapy. Usually in this case, a woman is prescribed a course of vitamins for pregnant women, iron and folic acid preparations. All further changes that will occur in the body must be recorded by the doctor.
If you use these tips, you will soon begin to notice how constant fatigue ceases to pester you. Then you can fully enjoy your position, admiring the gradually rounding tummy. Health to you and your baby!