During the normal operation of the sweat glands, people sweat only in certain cases: at excessively high temperatures, in stressful situations, during heavy physical exertion. A person whose body functions normally sweats minimally at night, since the body is at rest. But sometimes it happens that when you wake up at night, you find that your body is wet. Many questions arise: why do you sweat in a dream, what are the reasons for this in men and how to get rid of this not very pleasant phenomenon?
Causes of excessive sweating in men
Excessive male sweating at night can depend on many factors, both external and internal. What could be the reasons why a man sweats in his sleep?
Important! Excessive sweating always signals an imbalance in the body, so be sure to identify the causes of violations and direct efforts to combat them.
Some women worry that their husband sweats too much in his sleep. This fact should not cause serious concern in the following cases:
- Blanket chosen out of season. As a result, the body does not breathe, the processes of thermoregulation are disturbed, sweat begins to be intensively released. To prevent the problem of excessive sweating, you need to change the blanket, choosing a product that does not interfere with the free circulation of air.
Quilts filled with camel and sheep wool, swan down, bamboo and eucalyptus fiber ( tenzel , lyocell ), fluffy fibers of silk, hemp and linen have excellent breathability. When choosing, do not forget that materials of animal origin can provoke allergic reactions.
- Wrong nutrition. Note to wives: to prevent your husband from sweating at night, try to feed him healthy food. Eliminate carbonated drinks, spicy foods, sweets and caffeinated drinks from the evening diet. You will have to forget about alcoholic drinks in the evening and limit the use of large amounts of liquid before bedtime. Experts have long proven the relationship between nutrition and metabolic processes.
- Unventilated room and high air temperature. These factors can also make you sweat at night. Therefore, before going to bed, it is necessary to thoroughly ventilate the room.
- stressful situations. Under stress, a malfunction occurs in the vegetative system, blood circulation is disturbed, and a man sweats even in his sleep.
When is night sweats a sign of illness?
Night sweats can talk about pathologies that develop in the body. In this case, it is necessary to undergo a comprehensive examination to exclude the following diseases:
- Disturbed sleep, in particular sleep apnea syndrome, in which there is a short-term cessation of breathing.
- Infectious diseases, a symptom of which is elevated body temperature.
- Diseases associated with dysfunction of the thyroid gland.
- Diseases of the joints and muscles.
- Chronic diseases.
- Cancer diseases.
- Nervous disorders.
- All kinds of allergic reactions.
As a rule, sweating at night is accompanied by discomfort and an unpleasant odor.
Excessive sweating promotes the development of bacteria and microorganisms. The consequence of untimely treatment may be the development of skin infections. Therefore, if you notice the characteristic symptoms of hyperhidrosis, consult a doctor.
Often sweating at night is observed during the male menopause. In addition to night sweats, there are many other symptoms that indicate a problem:
- flushes of heat;
- weight gain;
- deterioration of sexual function;
- bouts of apathy;
- fast fatiguability;
- frequent urination;
- disorders in the work of the cardiovascular system;
- memory impairment, distraction.
The causes of menopause are primarily hormonal changes associated with the age of a man. It can also develop due to trauma, infectious diseases associated with the reproductive area, medication, diabetes, hypertension, under the influence of constant stress, alcoholism and many other reasons.
For the treatment of male menopause, you should contact an andrologist, who can additionally refer you to other specialists – a urologist, a cardiologist, an endocrinologist.
Strong sweating in men is not always an independent symptom, often the problem signals the presence of a disease. Therefore, when it manifests itself, you should consult a specialist. Diagnostic measures will consist of a thorough examination, a survey to identify additional symptoms, in addition to the complaint “I sweat in my sleep,” and testing. Redirection to a narrower specialist is possible.
If the doctor, figuring out why a person is sweating, has revealed the presence of any disease, therapeutic measures will be aimed at eliminating the root cause, after which profuse night sweats should stop bothering the patient. If everything is not as serious as it seemed to you at first glance, and sweating occurs for less compelling reasons, it is enough just to follow preventive measures.
night sweats treatment
Every man who has experienced the manifestation of nocturnal hyperhidrosis must have wondered: if I sweat too much in my sleep, it probably shouldn’t be. What should I do and who should I contact? But not many dare to go with this problem to a specialist. However, the answer to these questions can only be obtained after consulting a dermatologist, since there are a lot of reasons for causing the manifestation. First you need to find out if excessive night sweats are part of any serious medical condition. And if so, then the underlying disease should be treated, and not its individual manifestations.
Medicines prescribed for excessive sweating:
- anti-allergic ;
- complex of vitamins and minerals.
If the manifestations are independent, the following measures should be observed to reduce night sweats:
- Create optimal conditions in the sleeping room: the air temperature should not be higher than 20 degrees, the air humidity should be 40-60%.
- Ventilate the room more often, especially before going to bed.
- You should sleep in clothes made of natural fabrics, and choose bed linen so that it allows air to pass through.
- If a man sweats in his sleep, he will have to exclude the use of junk food and alcoholic beverages before bedtime, avoid overeating.
- Do not expose the nervous system to excessive emotional outbursts before going to bed.
- Walking outside before bed will help you fall asleep better and reduce the risk of you sweating in your sleep.
- Take a warm shower before bed, follow the rules of hygiene.
Increased sweating during sleep in a man is an alarming symptom that can lead to complications in the state of the body. Therefore, do not ignore the problem, a timely diagnosed disease is easily treatable.