Pregnancy is a special condition of a woman, in which an enormous load is placed on the body, which means that there is an increased need for recovery. But, alas, hormonal changes provoke “strange” conditions – debilitating drowsiness during the day and annoying insomnia at night. Often, physiological and psychosomatic changes cause changes in the emotional state that are inexplicable at first glance, which are also tiring – in a few minutes from euphoria to increased anxiety and back. Thus, insomnia during early pregnancy, which affects up to 80% of women, becomes an additional source of stress and fatigue.
Sometimes it is an inexplicable sleep disorder that causes you to think about the onset of conception even before the delay.
Features of insomnia during pregnancy
Insomnia is one of the most common somnological disorders, the symptoms of which include:
- superficial (shallow) sleep;
- sleep problems;
- frequent sleep interruptions;
- unreasonably early awakening.
Faced with such manifestations of insomnia, especially in the first trimester, a pregnant woman feels a breakdown and fatigue in the morning. During the day, physical ailments (for example, toxicosis or abdominal pain) and anxiety about the baby are superimposed on the state of weakness. This means that by the evening a lot of experiences accumulate, which in turn do not allow you to fall asleep. The circle is closed. That is why the manifestations of insomnia in a pregnant woman should not be ignored.
Important! About insomnia, as a pathological condition, they speak only when the above symptoms occur at least three times a week for a month or more.
Types of insomnia
Sleep disorders are classified according to several parameters.
Types of insomnia by time of occurrence:
- Starting. It is characterized by problematic falling asleep within 1-2 hours. One “bad” thought or the horn of a car outside the window is enough to say goodbye to a long-awaited dream. Additionally, difficulty falling asleep provokes the fear of repeating previous nights without rest.
- Median. Shallow intermittent drowsiness, caused both by a reaction to external stimuli and to the internal needs of the body, which does not go into “sleep mode”. This type of disorder guarantees after getting up the feeling that the night has passed without sleep.
- Final. Early “pre-morning” awakening with the inability to sleep further. In this case, the coming day turns out to be endless and exhausting.
Types of insomnia depending on the cause:
- Situational (it is also passing). It occurs due to nervous excitement, emotional outburst or a specific physical ailment. The situation returns to normal after the cause is eliminated and does not require special intervention.
- Short term. A disorder that lasts for some period of time, caused by provocateurs of discomfort. Typical phenomena that provoke poor sleep during the first trimester are manifestations of toxicosis or frequent urge to urinate. If this condition persists, then this should be the reason for contacting a specialist.
- Chronic. Such a violation has a long course, most often its appearance was observed even before the onset of pregnancy. The cause of this condition may be some diseases. Chronic insomnia is an absolute reason to see a doctor. In this case, the selection of corrective drugs may be required.
First of all, sleep problems should be reported to the gynecologist. In some cases, it may be necessary to consult a psychologist, neurologist, somnologist.
Causes of insomnia in early pregnancy
The main reason why women experience median insomnia in the first trimester so often is an increase in the level of the hormone progesterone. It is produced by the corpus luteum of the ovary and is responsible for maintaining pregnancy.
In addition to its main function, progesterone has a relaxing effect on the muscular layer of the intestines and bladder, which leads to frequent visits to the toilet. Another common side effect is an increase in vascular permeability, which provokes swelling of the mucous membrane and sinuses, which adversely affects the quality of rest.
The appearance of the final form of insomnia is due to manifestations of toxicosis of the first trimester. At the beginning of pregnancy, most women are tormented by the same “morning sickness”, which rolls around for about 5 hours and it is already difficult to fall asleep after the appearance of which.
The starting type of sleep disturbance in most cases is explained by the psycho-emotional state, increased anxiety and worries associated with the upcoming changes, as well as with the upcoming medical examination of the condition of the mother and unborn child.
By the 16th week, the first screening is over, the placenta takes over the production of progesterone and, as a rule, the quality of the rest of the pregnant woman is restored during the second trimester.
How to normalize sleep
Despite the physiological nature of the processes occurring in the body of a future mother at an early stage, it is unreasonable to ignore insomnia . It is necessary to take measures to normalize sleep, which directly affects the condition of the mother, and hence the baby.
To cope with insomnia in the early stages (except for its chronic form), a review of the daily regimen, nutrition and the proper organization of a bed will help. What can be done to solve sleep problems:
- Provide the optimal combination of heat and humidity in the bedroom. The temperature in the room should be maintained at a level comfortable for sleeping – 16-22 ° C, often ventilate the room, if possible, leave the window open around the clock. The influx of fresh humidified air helps to fall asleep. If the bedroom is very dry, it is recommended to use a humidifier or hang up some wet terry towels.
Advice! During pregnancy, it is better to remove indoor plants from the bedroom that absorb oxygen, the lack of which is already experienced by a woman due to problems with swelling of the nasal mucosa.
- Pregnancy is the time to arrange a comfortable sleeping bed. If possible, put a wide bed, choose a comfortable mattress and quality bedding. Linen and sleepwear should be made from natural materials (cotton, linen), cozy and pleasant for the body.
- Of great importance is a comfortable sleeping position, which you will have to choose correctly, taking into account your own characteristics, that is, empirically. Pillows that can be placed under the back, legs, stomach, at the head help to get comfortable.
- Another technique that helps to relax is a warm bath or shower, combined with a light massage of problem areas (feet, lower back, cervical region).
Taking care of yourself, your comfort during pregnancy helps the expectant mother to avoid a depressive state, reduce physical stress on the body, which means it allows you to live the period of bearing a child normally and fully.
Can I take drugs for insomnia?
Sometimes, desperate to cope with insomnia using various methods, a pregnant woman thinks about a drug solution to the problem. The question then arises as to whether drugs can be used in the treatment of such disorders. If we are talking about independent use, the answer is unequivocal – no. No drugs can be taken without the supervision of a doctor.
Note! Regarding the intake of any sedatives, even permitted in the first trimester, such as persen , ascorutin , valerian tablets, you need to consult a doctor.
Insomnia remedies recommended for expectant mothers
As an alternative to medication, pregnant women are allowed to use gentle sedatives. Good results were shown by such herbs as chamomile, St. John’s wort, mint, lemon balm, hawthorn, valerian, motherwort and their combinations. Naturally, we are not talking about alcohol tinctures, but about warm drinking from natural decoctions.
Important! Any herbal remedies should be used with caution, carefully monitoring your condition, since during the period of hormonal changes in the body, even the most familiar drugs can cause allergic reactions or disrupt digestion.
A glass of this herbal tea at night at the first sign of insomnia will help make the transition from wakefulness to sleep smooth and imperceptible.
You can use a proven way to deal with starting insomnia and reduce stress levels: regularly drink warm milk with honey (1 tsp / glass) 15-20 minutes before rest.
Prevention of insomnia
Like any disease or pathological condition, sleep disorders are better prevented than treated later. Of course, it’s worth “putting things in order” in life even before you get pregnant, but it’s never too late to correct mistakes.
There are several popular measures to consider as a preventive measure.
- Compliance with the daily routine: go to bed and get up at about the same time.
- Exclusion of daytime sleep (subject to the appearance of symptoms of insomnia).
- Ensuring proper balanced nutrition, taking into account the time of day. This means that dinner should be light, a few hours before the intended sleep.
- Rejection of bad habits.
- The performance of active energy-intensive activities, as well as the use of stimulating drinks (tea, coffee, soda) should be moved to the first half of the day.
- Hiking before bed for at least 30 minutes.
Lifestyle adjustments are the most effective way to combat insomnia at home. But if the situation does not improve for some time, you should definitely seek help, since lack of sleep and early recovery of the body can adversely affect the health of mother and baby.