Good rest and healthy sleep is necessary for any person: at night the body restores the forces expended during the day. During pregnancy, the issue of sleep becomes even more relevant, since the health of the mother is the key to the successful development of the crumbs. A woman in position has a logical question: how to sleep during pregnancy in the early stages in order to fully relax and not harm the baby.
Changes in a woman’s body in the first trimester of pregnancy
The first trimester is a period when a woman’s body works hard, so there is constant drowsiness and fatigue. The content of the hormone progesterone, which suppresses the activity of the body, is rapidly increasing.
When the need to rest arises, it is not worth resisting the physiological needs. However, a woman sometimes fails to relax, because many factors prevent her from fully relaxing:
- pregnant women have increased anxiety;
- anxiety caused by changes in the body;
- increased work of the bladder;
- increased heart rate.
Causes of sleep disturbance during pregnancy
Along with increased drowsiness, sleep disturbances, insomnia can be observed. Difficulties with rest during pregnancy appear due to physiological reasons:
- The uterus puts pressure on the bladder, so there is a frequent desire to urinate.
- Increased irritability and anxiety.
- Numbness of the extremities caused by calcium and magnesium deficiency.
- Lack of oxygen.
- Leakage of the body with an uncomfortable posture.
- Pain in the lumbar region.
- Swelling, itching of the lower extremities, due to difficulty in the outflow of lymph.
How to sleep well in early pregnancy
Every woman before pregnancy sleeps in the most comfortable, favorite and familiar position. After the onset of an interesting situation, everything changes. At the same time, the 1st trimester is a period when sleeping in any position does not bring discomfort:
- The abdomen is not yet rounded and enlarged, the fetus is too small.
- The uterus is located within the small pelvis, and even with an uncomfortable position, there is no pressure on the baby.
How to sleep during early pregnancy? It turns out that a woman can continue to rest in the way that is convenient and familiar to her. You can take any position without worrying about the possible danger to the child. You can sleep in this way for almost the entire trimester up to 12 weeks. Especially sensitive mammary glands can interfere with resting on the stomach at the beginning of pregnancy: the breast swells and hurts in this position.
Important! Despite the safety of any positions, it is necessary to unlearn from your favorite positions on the stomach and back, starting from the first trimester, so that by the time the fetus becomes larger and the stomach is rounded, the process of falling asleep is easier and sleep is safe.
The most acceptable position for a pregnant woman to sleep at night is the position on the left side, which has important advantages:
- The work of cardiac activity is normalized.
- The load on the back and pelvis is reduced.
- The fetus receives more oxygen due to good blood supply to the pelvic organs.
Useful tips for normalizing the sleep of a pregnant woman
In order to improve sleep and speed up the process of falling asleep in early pregnancy, you should follow the recommendations regarding nutrition, sleep and wakefulness, hygiene and other points.
Fresh air and hygiene
Before going to bed, it is recommended to ventilate the room well. This procedure contributes to the early falling asleep, sound and healthy sleep. Clean air has a beneficial effect on many systems of the body of the mother and child. It is advisable to devote at least half an hour to evening walks.
It is useful to take a shower before going to bed: it will help to relax.
Follow the rest regimen, go to bed and wake up at about the same time, stick to the daily routine, so the body will adapt to the created regimen, be able to fully relax and unwind.
The optimal duration of sleep is at least 9 hours, you should go to bed no later than 11 pm. If there is a desire, you can give a few hours of daytime sleep.
Sleeping place, posture
Choose a mattress of medium hardness, a quality orthopedic product will do.
The position should be changed 2-3 times a night so that the body does not become numb. Starting early, throughout the first trimester, you need to prepare yourself for sleep in positions that are acceptable at a later date.
The best assistant will be a special pillow for pregnant women, which has the shape of a donut, the letters “G”, “U”, “C”, supporting the stomach, back and helping to take a comfortable position. After childbirth, the pillow will come in handy when feeding the baby.
Food and drink
Tips related to nutrition and drinking regimen of pregnant women:
- A few hours before bedtime, meals are not recommended: eating causes heartburn and heaviness, preventing proper rest.
- Dinner should be light and lean.
- If nausea from malnutrition begins to roll up before going to bed, you can eat some crackers and drink low-fat kefir.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks.
- Reduce your fluid intake three hours before bed to reduce the urge to urinate.
If sleep disturbance is caused by severe psychological conditions and emotional disorders, you should consult a psychologist, pour out your soul to loved ones. You don’t have to worry about everything.
Milk with honey, tea with lemon and honey have a calming effect. The components of these drinks will help increase the production of melatonin, which helps improve sleep.
Important! Do not take sleeping pills, as taking medications in the first trimester can adversely affect the health and development of the child.
Everyone needs a good rest, and a pregnant woman doubly, because a new little life is developing in her, which also needs a comfortable existence. Comfortable postures, proper organization of the day, nutrition and a calm attitude will help ensure healthy sleep in early pregnancy.