According to statistics, every second person periodically wants to lie down to rest during the day. It is especially difficult for those who are at work at this time. After all, fatigue can lead not only to a decrease in productivity, but also to annoying mistakes. Let’s find out what causes fatigue and how to deal with sleepiness.
Sleepiness can overcome a person for a variety of reasons. If we consider this condition from a medical point of view, it can be provoked by pathologies of the cardiovascular system, thyroid gland, diabetes mellitus and some other diseases that require treatment.
In addition to pathologies, increased fatigue can be caused by:
- Deficiency in the body of vitamin D, which often occurs in winter.
- Non-compliance with the daily routine and inadequate sleep. For normal life, a person needs to sleep at least 7 hours a day. And it is desirable that it lasts from 22-23 to 6-7 hours. It is at this time that the body is tuned to rest and recovery. Any deviations can unsettle a person. If violations occur constantly, insomnia appears and the situation falls into a vicious circle.
- Alcohol you have drunk. Any alcoholic drink has a relaxing effect on the body, and a person wants to sleep.
- A large amount of carbohydrate foods that many people abuse during lunch at work.
- Lack of oxygen, which often suffers from offices, schools and other places where people gather.
- Insufficient sunlight. In winter and autumn, when the daylight hours are short, people are more likely to suffer from drowsiness. And in spring and summer, when the number of sunny days increases, there is practically no need to deal with this condition.
- Side effects of some medications. For example, antiallergic agents can have this effect.
- Dehydration. Water is essential for the entire body, especially for the brain. With a lack of fluid, it slows down metabolic processes, which causes a feeling of fatigue.
- Monotonous work, sitting in one place, or boring lecture. A person can get tired simply from boredom or monotonous activity.
- Change of weather. During this period, atmospheric pressure decreases, which leads to a slowdown in the heartbeat, the body begins to experience a lack of oxygen.
- Head injury, when drowsiness becomes the first symptom of injury.
- Pregnancy, especially in the first trimester.
Signs of sleepiness
A person may want to sleep for various reasons, but the loss of energy during the day for everyone manifests itself in the same way and is accompanied by:
- yawning, feeling of heaviness of the eyelids;
- lethargy, inability to concentrate;
- a sharp change in mood;
- decreased visual acuity;
- muscle weakness;
- a ringing sensation in the ears;
- an irresistible desire to eat sweetness.
To understand why this is happening, sometimes it is enough to revise your daily routine and pay attention to your surroundings. Lethargy is often the result of a lack of oxygen in the room. Overwork can occur due to prolonged sitting in the evening on social networks, so a night’s sleep is not enough for a good rest.
How to get rid of sleepiness in the evening
Anyone who experiences a constant breakdown and whose mind refuses to cope with the tasks assigned, it is imperative to reconsider their daily routine. It is important to set aside time for yourself to get good sleep.
Fatigue and sleepiness at night are the norm, as the body needs rest after a hard day. But there are situations when it is necessary to overcome sleep not during the day, but in the evening. And you need to do this so as not to harm yourself. The easiest ways to help ward off sleep:
- Coffee. The aroma of this invigorating drink gives you energy and the ability to continue your activity.
To achieve the desired effect, you need to choose a quality product and cook it according to all the rules.
- Strong tea. Helps to cope with fatigue for people who have problems with the cardiovascular system, which is why coffee is contraindicated for them.
- Energy. There is a wide variety of these drinks in stores today. They work for about 5 hours. The only condition is that such drinks should not be consumed often, as they deplete the body and are addictive.
- Cold and hot shower. It tones up well and helps to overcome fatigue. If it is difficult to immediately switch the water from warm to cold, you need to act gradually. You can start in the leg area, slowly raising the jet upward.
- If you need to continue studying or finish an important report in the evening, you can resort to aromatherapy, which will defeat laziness and help control your thoughts.
Grapefruit, lemon, bergamot, pine, ginger, fir, rose oils have a stimulating and invigorating effect.
What to do at work
Separately, you need to consider techniques that will help get rid of drowsiness at work.
- If you are suddenly drowsy, you can go outside and take a walk in the fresh air.
- Monotonous activity must be alternated with vigorous action.
- Exercise can help you quickly overcome sleepiness at work or at home. Regular push-ups and squats will increase blood circulation and oxygenate the body’s cells. An active respite is useful at any time of the day.
- Essential oil will help at work as well. A full-fledged aromatherapy will not work, but inhaling an invigorating scent from a handkerchief with a few drops of oil or directly from a jar will help you quickly tune in to a working mood.
- “Correct” lunch and breathing exercises, which will be discussed below, will help to cope with apathy and tiredness in the best way.
Anyone who always feels overwhelmed should master the Express Sleep method. A five-minute afternoon nap will help tune the body to a working mood. It is important not to sleep for more than 20 minutes, otherwise the effect will be the opposite.
Eating and drinking for fatigue
Increased sleepiness usually occurs in the afternoon. Scientists claim that eating the right food helps to overcome sleepiness at such moments:
- Throughout the day, you need to eat a lot of fresh vegetables and fruits, which will provide the body with the necessary vitamins.
- Lunch should not consist of fatty foods. They can cause heaviness in the stomach. The body will be forced to throw all its energy into digesting food and will require rest.
- It is important to observe the drinking regime and drink at least 1.5 liters of clean non-carbonated water during the day.
- When you feel hungry, you need to have a snack. Chewing continuously, of course, is not worth it, but you can eat a handful of nuts or any fruit.
You can use a popular way to combat fatigue: drink rosehip decoction.
Whatever the morning, during the day, sleepiness, which interferes with full-fledged work, can appear in everyone. This is especially dangerous for those who need to drive or whose activities are related to the control of mechanisms. In this case, it is recommended to do breathing exercises directly at the workplace.
- While inhaling, we strain all the muscles as much as possible, holding them in this position for 5-6 seconds. This is followed by a slow exhalation. Enough 8-10 repetitions. You need to sit with a straight back.
- Qigong breathing exercises help to saturate the body with oxygen. The method consists in the fact that you need to breathe, inflating the abdomen, and exhaling, pull it in as much as possible, straining the abdominal muscles. Light dizziness that occurs is normal and goes away quickly.
If you exercise every day, then soon the depressing drowsiness will be a thing of the past.
Drugs that suppress drowsiness
If the above recommendations do not help, you can resort to stimulants from the pharmacy, including:
- Modafinil. Stimulates brain activity, fights sleep, increases physical endurance, mental abilities;
- Longdazin is a day extender. Shifts biological rhythms, helps to eliminate drowsiness during working hours for people working in different shifts, changing time zones;
- “Pantokrin”. It affects the heart, brain and stomach, eliminates fatigue, and increases efficiency.
Vitamin complexes and dietary supplements that increase activity
Vitamin-mineral complexes and biologically active additives will help to get rid of drowsiness and restore vigor.
- “Multi-tabs asset”. It is indicated for high fatigue, low performance, psychoemotional overstrain, heavy loads.
- Dynamisan. The dietary supplement contains vitamins, trace elements, amino acids, ginseng extract. Stimulates the body’s production of energy, strengthens the immune system, improves performance and memory.
- “Doppel Hertz Energotonik”. Elixir of 30 components, including essential oils, herbal tinctures, minerals and vitamins. Supports immunity, has a beneficial effect on the central nervous system, invigorates, helps to concentrate.
- Vitrum Energy. Vitamin-mineral complex with ginseng extract increases the body’s energy resources, helps to cope with chronic fatigue.
- Enerion. Already after a week of admission, lethargy, drowsiness, heaviness in the body, constant fatigue go away.
- Selmevit. A complex of 13 vitamins and 9 minerals increases endurance, activity, reduces fatigue, and enhances the body’s resistance to stress.
- “Alphabet Energy”. The complex is designed for taking 3 tablets per day. The morning dose eliminates drowsiness, stimulates brain activity, the daily pill helps to maintain performance, the evening one helps to restore strength after a working day.
Plants for sleepiness
Useful plants that have a positive effect on the entire body, increase tone, mood, immunity and performance:
Tinctures and extracts of these plants are sold in any pharmacy. Each remedy acts in its own way; Eleutherococcus and ginseng have the strongest tonic effect.
It is important to remember that some preparations made from natural ingredients may not be suitable due to individual intolerance.
Our helpful tips will help you get rid of the feeling of fatigue that occurs at the wrong time. But in any case, only those who get enough rest at night will feel vigorous and energetic.