Insomnia is a condition when a person cannot fall asleep normally and often wakes up, so sleep does not shift into a deep phase, in which the main rest of all systems and organs occurs. In healthy people, it occurs as a result of overwork, excessive mental agitation, in women it can appear with menopause. But sometimes insomnia is associated with various diseases. If difficulties with sleep arise as a result of nervous overstrain, then you should not immediately use medications, folk remedies for insomnia will come to the rescue.
Sleep is necessary to recuperate. But what if for a modern person a healthy and full-fledged night’s rest is rather an unaffordable luxury than the norm? Insomnia, or insomnia, is one of the most common problems that doctors constantly face. There is no single cause for this condition, so there is no universal cure for sleep disorders either.
The best recipes for insomnia
Such a deviation often torments people of mental work, constantly sitting at the computer. They overwork, waste their energy irrationally. Sometimes they try to overcome sleep and invigorate with coffee. This helps for a while, but then fatigue only intensifies, during the day there is drowsiness, but at night it is impossible to fall asleep.
Traditional medicine and homeopathy involve the use of simple natural remedies that are mild, non-addictive and, unlike pills, have virtually no side effects or contraindications. Therefore, a properly selected medicinal sedative collection is able to stop debilitating insomnia. But before you get rid of tortured insomnia with folk remedies, you should discuss a plan of action with your doctor so as not to harm your body.
Advice. If the bedroom is too dry, it is recommended to use a humidifier. This measure alone can significantly improve the quality of rest.
We suggest considering the most proven and effective means.
You can cure insomnia with a homemade recipe based on common table salt. It is poured into a tissue bag and placed on a pillow. The head should be placed on this salt roll. Sleep is normalized after a week of regular use.
An ancient effective folk remedy that has earned numerous positive reviews for excellent results. Honey is soothing and relaxing. Any preparations based on it can be prepared quickly and easily. It helps to fall asleep honey, dissolved in a glass of warm milk or tea, drunk at night.
You can treat insomnia with such a delicious mixture: for half a glass of walnuts, you need to take the same amount of honey, better than buckwheat, and a glass of lemon juice. The components are mixed, take a “sleepy” honey remedy for 1 tbsp. l. an hour before bedtime.
Honey with apple cider vinegar
2 more simple but effective recipes based on honey, as well as apple cider vinegar, which enhances the effect of the first component.
- For 1 glass of water, 2 tsp is taken. vinegar and honey. This drink should be drunk before bed. It is also recommended to place a container with the mixture near the bed and take it on night awakenings.
- Take 3 tsp in a glass of honey. apple cider vinegar. The mixture is taken before going to bed for 2 tsp.
Wine and dill broth
To prepare it, you need to boil half a liter of red wine and add 60 g of dill seeds. The product is cooked for 20 minutes, then the heat is turned off, the pan is wrapped in a warm towel or blanket. Filter the finished product and use 50 g daily before bedtime.
Pour the crushed cones with vodka (proportion – 1: 4), let it brew for 2 weeks in a dark place. After that, the mixture is filtered. The rules for taking hop tincture are five drops dissolved in a spoonful of cold water, twice a day.
A bitter but very effective remedy that will help overcome insomnia. You can choose from the following options.
- Wormwood tincture. 2 tbsp. l. herbs or roots are poured with 2 cups of boiling water and insisted for 2 hours. Take before bed.
- Wormwood seed oil. You need to collect seeds in the 2nd half of autumn. They are crushed in a coffee grinder, filled with any vegetable oil in a ratio of 1: 4. The mixture is infused for a week in a dark place, shaken once a day. Then it is filtered and taken 1-2 drops per sugar cube, 2-4 times a day, if the agent is used as a sedative. When it is necessary to achieve a hypnotic effect, the dose is increased to 3-10 drops.
For early falling asleep it is recommended to make a special “sleeping pill” pillow. A regular pillowcase should be stuffed with hay mixed with dried hop cones, mint herb, lemon balm, immortelle, wormwood, valerian, rose petals.
Several small scented pillows can be made and distributed throughout the house on batteries. You can fill them with a variety of herbal preparations: laurel and mint, ferns and hops, geraniums and oregano. These plants will create a pleasant atmosphere in your home and contribute to a normal rest. You can buy them at the pharmacy.
It has been proven that insomnia can be a consequence of a lack of magnesium in the body. To replenish it, you need to either take drugs based on it, or introduce foods with a high content of this trace element into the diet. These include nuts, seeds, grains, bran, legumes, seaweed, vegetables and fruits.
The magic of essential oils
Aromatic oils have a beneficial effect on the nervous system, stabilize the emotional background, relieve irritability, and help cope with stress. Aromatherapy is great for relaxing and helping you fall asleep quickly.
You can spread lavender oil on your forehead and temples before bed. Or put a couple of drops on a sugar cube and suck it up. But this method has contraindications: it cannot be used in the presence of epilepsy, anemia, hypotension, during pregnancy.
Aromatic baths with essential oils help with insomnia. Add a few drops of peppermint, orange, chamomile oil to hot water. Immerse yourself in the bath and enjoy the pleasant process before bed. Such procedures relieve fatigue, stress, and relax the body. Fir, pine, lemon, anise, valerian, lavender products are also suitable.
If you are tormented by insomnia, you can ask someone close to you to massage your feet, hands, neck and back using a mixture of lavender or rosemary oil, mint. They take ordinary vegetable oil as a basis, into which aromatic oils are poured. The resulting mixture is slightly warmed up to make it more comfortable to massage.
Valerian is considered an invariable sedative that has been known since ancient times. It is included in many sedative preparations.
Valerian and hops
Mix equal amounts of hop cones, valerian root, and peppermint. Mix (1 tbsp. L.) Pour 200 ml of boiling water and leave for half an hour. Drinking such an infusion should be 100 ml 3 times a day.
Valerian and mint or lemon balm leaves
Raw materials are mixed in equal quantities, poured with a liter of hot water and boiled in an enamel bowl. Then let it stand for a while and filter. Take it every day in the morning and in the evening for half a glass. The course is 1 week, then a month break, then, if necessary, treatment continues.
Valerian root infusion
This medicinal plant has been used successfully on its own, without additional additives. 1 tbsp. l. chopped root is poured with a glass of boiling water, infused for 45 minutes, filtered. Adults should take 1 tbsp. l., children – 1 tsp. 3 times a day.
Those who do not want to bother with the preparation of medicinal decoctions can buy a pharmacy drug – valerian alcohol tincture.
Especially for women
The weaker sex suffers from sleep disturbances much more often than men, due to a more emotional perception of the world around them, as well as due to monthly changes in hormonal levels, the period of menopause.
Means for women and girls
Chamomile is a safe and effective anti-anxiety drug. The easiest way is to buy a shredded plant in filter bags. Brew it like this: put 2 bags in a glass of boiling water, leave for 15 minutes. It is allowed to add sugar or lemon to the finished drink, but without them it tastes good. It should be taken half an hour to an hour before a night’s rest.
If insomnia begins to torment a woman with menopause, then you can use the following remedies:
- Mint + sweet clover. Take 75 grams of peppermint and 100 grams of sweet clover. Place the mixture in a thermos and pour a glass of boiling water over it. Leave to infuse overnight. Every day, you should take this drug on an empty stomach, 50 ml for female menopause symptoms.
- Onion tincture for menopause. Onion seeds (50 grams) are poured with a liter of dry white wine and infused for 10 days in a warm, dark place. Shake the mixture periodically. Then strain and take with menopause a tablespoon on an empty stomach up to five times a day.
Insomnia with menopause, accompanied by rushes of blood to the head, is treated by applying grated horseradish root or mustard plasters to the calves of the legs.
Sleep problems in the stronger sex are caused by a number of reasons: male diseases (for example, prostatitis and prostate adenoma) are forced to get up to the toilet several times, preventing proper rest. Nighttime exercise also triggers sleep disturbances at night. You need to start fighting the problem immediately, as it leads to nervousness, irritability, decreased concentration, decreased testosterone production, obesity and cardiovascular disease.
An effective folk remedy is motherwort tincture. 15 grams of herbs are poured into a glass of warm water and insisted for 8 hours. Take a tablespoon twice a day.
Vitamin cocktail is considered an excellent home remedy for insomnia caused by overexertion. Dried berries of black currant and rose hips should be combined in equal proportions. Pour them with several glasses of boiling water and insist in a thermos for 8 hours. After straining, the preparation is ready for use: it should be taken warm, 100 ml at a time.
Not all folk remedies for insomnia are suitable for babies, some herbs are allowed to be taken only from the age of 12. Here are a few recipes that definitely won’t do any harm.
- A baby from 6 months will be helped by soothing teas sold in a pharmacy. A weakly brewed infusion is given in a bottle half an hour before bedtime.
- It is not recommended for a newborn to consume any herbs, just as it is not worth drinking from a bottle, as this can harm breastfeeding. A good result can be achieved if mom drinks soothing teas with chamomile, valerian, motherwort, pine needles. The baby will receive some dose in breast milk.
- Both toddlers and older children will benefit from baths – salt-coniferous or herbal baths. Hops, oregano, thyme and motherwort are used in equal proportions. Water temperature – up to 37 ° C, bathing time – 5-10 minutes. The recommended course duration is 10 days.
Traditional medicine offers such a remedy – put a valerian root wrapped in gauze at the head of the baby.
- Pumpkin broth will help children from year to year. In a glass of water, take 200 g of chopped vegetable, boil for 20 minutes, cool and add 1 tbsp. l. honey. Drink ¼ glass at night.
For sleep disorders associated with fright and night fears, baths with a decoction of tansy flowers, immortelle, knotweed herb or elecampane root are recommended. Any of these preparations in the amount of 50 g is brewed with boiling water in a volume of 1 liter, boiled in a water bath for 15 minutes. The product is filtered and kneaded in a 15–20 liter bath.
Children from 3 years old:
- Chamomile broth. 1 tbsp. l. chamomile pour a glass of boiling water, add tsp. sugar and keep in a water bath for 15 minutes. Give warm 1 hour before bedtime, ¼ glass. In the same way, you can prepare decoctions of oregano, motherwort, ivan tea, hops.
- Infusion of valerian root. 1 tbsp. l. chopped raw materials are poured with a glass of boiling water, cooked in a water bath or over low heat for 15 minutes, then infused for another 45 minutes. Give 1 tsp. 3 times a day.
- Calming collection. Ingredients: valerian root – 5 g, hop cones – 5 g, motherwort herb – 10 g, hawthorn flowers – 5 g. The mixture is poured with half a liter of boiling water, infused for 2 hours in a thermos. You need to take in the evening, babies – 1 tbsp. l., adolescents from 12 years old – half a glass.
Homeopathic remedies for insomnia in children
A homeopathic doctor will select a suitable treatment regimen for this type of treatment. However, the dosages of the active substance in such preparations are so small that even with an independent “appointment” they will not bring harm.
Homeopathic remedies for sleep disorders in children:
|Name||Number of grains per reception||Reception time, qty per day||Duration of the course|
|Calcarea carbonica D6||5||at night in 2 doses, interval – 1 hour|
|Zincum valerianum D6||3-5||an hour before bedtime, 3 times a day||up to 3 months|
|Avena sativa D3||3-5||2-3 times a day||up to 2 months|
|Ignacy D6||3||before bedtime||1-1.5 months|
If insomnia is caused by rickets or a tendency to it, it is recommended to use Phosphorus D6 in 3-5 grains after waking up in the morning for 60 days. It is possible to recognize this disease, which develops in children from 3 months to 1.5 years, by irritability, increased sweating (especially in the back of the head), and disturbed sleep.
For the elderly
How to beat insomnia in adulthood? This question is relevant for men and women who have crossed the 50-year mark, when sleep disorder becomes a faithful companion of a person. It occurs due to chronic diseases, prolonged use of diuretics, antidepressants, cerebrovascular accident, heart failure, snoring.
Traditional healers advise elderly people to use lettuce for dinner. This will help get rid of insomnia at home. It is also helpful to consume bananas and strawberries at night, which contain potassium to help you fall asleep.
A special anti-stress drink drunk an hour before bedtime will help, consisting of a glass of warm milk, a banana, a tablespoon of chopped hazelnuts, and a teaspoon of wheat germ. Additionally, it will help get rid of depression.
The following herbs help the elderly to rest calmly:
- St. John’s wort,
Exercise for insomnia
Special classes will help to cope with violations.
- Lie on your back, relax.
- Slowly bring together and spread the thumb and forefinger of both hands.
- Repeat 15-20 times.
A set of three breathing exercises, which is done in bed before going to bed:
- Take a deep breath, push out your chest strongly. Relax as you exhale. Do it 15 times.
- As you inhale, tense your toes, bending them forward. Relax as you exhale. Do it 10 times.
- Inhale, clenching your fists, and strain your arm fully. Relax as you exhale. Repeat the exercise 15 times.
When treating insomnia with folk remedies, it is advisable to coordinate the intake of herbal infusions and decoctions with a doctor. Allergy sufferers, people with chronic diseases of the digestive system, and pregnant women should be especially careful. Do not combine herbal treatments with alcohol and sedative medications. Sugar, chocolate, coffee, rich bakery products, fatty and fried foods, spices should be excluded. A balanced diet helps to ensure restful and restful sleep. If folk remedies do not help resolve the issue, then you should consult a specialist – a doctor-somnologist.
If you have your own proven recipes to help cope with insomnia, share them in the comments. Our readers will be grateful to you!