Sweating is a natural process for the human body. Sweat removes harmful substances, helps in cooling the body. However, there are situations when excessive sweating causes inconvenience or even causes concern. Especially if it happens at night. For example, when the neck sweats during sleep.
Excessive neck sweating during night sleep: we understand the situation
If you have noticed this problem, you should understand it in more detail. Excessive sweating, or, in scientific terms, hyperhidrosis, is a fairly common phenomenon. There can be many explanations for the process of sweating in the neck that occurs during sleep, from the most banal to serious ones that require medical treatment. Let’s look at the most common ones first.
Eating heavy and high-calorie foods or alcoholic beverages before going to bed will inevitably lead to feelings of heaviness in the stomach and profuse sweating. At night, the body of an adult must rest, and the digestion of food requires increased blood flow, which provokes the release of sweat.
It is desirable that the last meal was 2-3 hours before bedtime and consisted of easily digestible foods.
If you are by nature an emotional person, impressionable, vulnerable, this fact can also be the cause of excessive sweating in a dream. The peculiarities of the functioning of the nervous system of such people leads to the fact that excessive excitement causes them to have a rapid heartbeat, which causes a rush of blood to the skin, especially in the head and neck. For such people, sound sleep is especially important, so they are shown walking in the air, refusing active activities in the evening, it is possible to take herbal teas with a calming effect.
Another very common reason that the neck, chest and back of the head sweat profusely at night can be overweight. As a rule, for obese people, sweating can be a frequent occurrence during the day, but at night it leads to regular awakenings, and, as a result, to lack of sleep, chronic fatigue. It would be good to take measures to reduce excess weight, since obesity, in addition to sleep disorders, can lead to a whole “bouquet” of more serious problems.
Some medicines can increase body temperature and increase sweating during sleep, including in the neck. This side effect should go away after you stop taking the drug.
High humidity and temperature
The simplest non-compliance with the temperature regime in the room can also lead to the neck and neck sweating profusely at night.
Doctors consider falling asleep at a temperature of 16-19 degrees optimal. It’s pretty cool, but it is under such conditions that the body produces melatonin, the sleep hormone responsible for the coherence of our entire body and strong immunity.
Humidity in the room also has a big influence. Waterlogged air often also causes excessive sweating during a night’s sleep. Doctors recommend that you carefully choose the temperature and humidity that are comfortable for you in the room. Well, if you are a fan of heat, do not forget to at least ventilate the room well before going to bed.
An important point in deciding why the neck sweats at night is the observance of the rules of personal hygiene.
- Carrying out water procedures before going to bed cleanses the skin, removes impurities and sweating secretions.
- It is important to use bed linen and nightgowns made from natural materials that have the ability to absorb sweat, relieving discomfort, and not causing a “greenhouse effect”.
- Bedding should be washed regularly.
If these personal hygiene measures are observed, night sweats in an adult should not become a problem.
How much do you sweat at night?
- Slightly, sometimes the bed linen is a little damp.
- Hard enough: pillow, sheet, blanket and hair are wet.
- Very strong: the feeling that I wake up in a puddle.
- Suddenly the tide comes and sweats head and shoulders
- Not much, only the T-shirt is wet.
Watch your back! When to sound the alarm
What if all of the above reasons do not apply to you, and the problem of a neck sweating in a dream is familiar to you firsthand? When should you be more careful, perhaps even consult a specialist? It is necessary to highlight the causes of neck sweating in a dream associated with various diseases:
- Viral diseases (ARVI, acute respiratory infections, influenza). The most common group of diseases that cause excessive sweating are viral. In this case, sweating of the neck, and of the whole organism as a whole, is a positive sign. This indicates the work of the immune system. Such sweating is especially characteristic at night.
- Excessive blood pressure (hypertension). A very common cause of night sweats in adults is hypertension. The same symptom is often accompanied by other problems associated with the work of the heart and blood vessels. Be attentive to your health, it is advisable to measure the pressure, if necessary, visit a specialist.
- Apnea syndrome. Pathology characterized by short pauses in breathing during sleep. Localized hyperhidrosis may be its side effect: lack of oxygen provokes the production of adrenaline, the heart rate rises, which, in turn, stimulates sweating. The causes of sleep apnea can be different, to identify them, you need to contact a somnologist and an otolaryngologist.
- Hormonal disorders. Changes in the level of hormones in the body can not but affect the well-being. Such fluctuations can be natural, for example, during ovulation, pregnancy or breastfeeding in women. This phenomenon is temporary, but if necessary, you can always consult a gynecologist. Often with excessive sweating in a dream and not only women are faced with the onset of menopause. Currently, there are a large number of ways to deal with this problem. If in a dream your chest and cervical region sweat, it is worth checking the functioning of the thyroid gland.
- parasitic invasion. Sometimes the neck sweats in a dream due to the presence of parasites, Giardia, in the body. Their waste products are strong toxins for the human body, with profuse sweating, our body tries to cleanse itself of them. Pass the necessary tests, undergo the necessary course of treatment.
It is very important to pay attention to the problem of neck sweating during a night’s sleep. It is necessary to understand the situation, take the necessary measures.
Remember, the use of various cosmetics, deodorants in no way replaces finding out the reasons why your neck sweats in a dream. If this problem bothers you for quite a long time and you do not find objective reasons for this, be sure to seek the advice of a specialist.