Sweating is a natural physiological process that a person needs for normal metabolism and maintaining body temperature. It occurs at any time of the day and usually goes unnoticed. Women are accustomed to associate increased sweating with increased physical activity or the onset of critical days. This process is unpleasant, but ends quickly. It is much more disturbing to sweat at night in a dream, since the causes that cause this in women are very different, from age-related changes to serious diseases.
Sweating disorders due to external factors
Increased sweating during sleep can be caused by external factors that a woman is able to cope with on her own. They need to be excluded before seeking the advice of a therapist.
- The air temperature in the room during sleep should not exceed 18–19 degrees for those who like to sleep in pajamas and under a blanket, 28 degrees for those who prefer to relax without hiding.
The optimal temperature is important for the production of melatonin, without which the normal functioning of the endocrine system and good sleep are impossible. If these norms are not observed, then the functions of self-regulation of body temperature are activated, and a woman may wake up sweaty.
- It is advisable to sleep in clothes made from natural materials. They allow air to pass through, are hygienic and, when in contact with the body, acquire its temperature. These include fabrics made of cotton, linen, bamboo, eucalyptus, cellulose, Chinese nettle.
Such a favorite linen made of silk should be bought with caution and only after making sure that the material is not artificial. It is enough to squeeze the fabric in your hand: natural fibers are elastic, so the creases will be almost invisible.
- The way a woman eats also plays an important role in the regulation of metabolism. Evening feasts with spicy, spicy dishes or alcoholic drinks activate blood circulation and provoke sweating at night.
By changing the diet and removing other causes, you can achieve the desired result without resorting to the help of a specialist.
Severe sweating at night in women due to diseases
Sweating not only contributes to maintaining a normal, comfortable body temperature for a woman. Sweat glands are involved in the excretion of harmful substances from the body, which can be formed due to the activity of pathogenic microorganisms. These include:
- Tuberculosis. A disease that can go unnoticed for a long time. Its characteristic feature is cold sweat at night, and its release increases at the initial stage of sleep. If you do not miss the moment, contacting a doctor when a woman began to wake up all wet, you can stop the disease at an early stage.
- Human immunodeficiency.
- Fungal infections.
- Malignant neoplasms. A possible cause of hyperhidrosis, which is clearly manifested in the early stages of Hodgkin ‘s lymphoma , pheochromocytoma, gigantism, carcinoid .
The cause of heavy sweating at night in women can be the release of adrenaline caused by the development of a tumor of the central nervous system.
- Seasonal diseases – influenza, SARS and other infections – cause general intoxication of the body. If the immune system is strong, then a rise in temperature may not occur, however, due to inflammatory processes, a woman will sweat a lot at night.
Through sweating, the body removes toxins. Therefore, if a regular unexplained night sweat has appeared, in the morning a woman finds a damp sheet or gets up with a wet head, you need to contact a therapist.
How much do you sweat at night?
- Slightly, sometimes the bed linen is a little damp.
- Hard enough: pillow, sheet, blanket and hair are wet.
- Very strong: the feeling that I wake up in a puddle.
- Suddenly the tide comes and sweats head and shoulders
- Not much, only the T-shirt is wet.
End of form
Improper functioning of the endocrine system
A woman can sweat in her sleep due to malfunctions in the endocrine system.
- Diabetes mellitus leads to the destruction of the sympathetic division of the autonomic nervous system. With a sharp decrease in glucose levels that occurs with strong physical exertion, with hunger and at night, profuse sweating begins. Sometimes this process can be suspended by reducing the load and balancing the power.
- Pathologies in the work of the thyroid gland entail metabolic disorders and, as a result, increased sweating. The main diseases, which are characterized by an increase in the functions of the gland, include Graves’ disease, pituitary tumors, nodular toxic goiter. Failure of the thyroid gland can occur due to the uncontrolled intake of iodine-containing drugs and hormonal agents. Drug abuse leads the entire female body to serious, often irreversible disorders.
- Disorders in the work of the ovaries give a woman a lot of problems, one of which is hyperhidrosis. Deficiency may be associated with the pathology of the organ and mainly develops during menopause, however, it can be a consequence of a genetic disorder, aggressive environmental influences, or trauma. Also, the problem can be caused by a disease of the adenohypophysis or hypothalamus.
The work of the ovaries affects many processes in the female body, so if you suspect a disease, you should definitely visit a doctor.
Sweating caused by such disorders can be stopped by taking appropriate hormonal drugs that stabilize the system. To do this, you need to consult a doctor and ask him the question “why am I sweating”, undergo the prescribed examination and treatment.
Other causes of profuse night sweats in women
There are many more reasons that cause heavy sweating during sleep.
- Weakness, increased sweating are the first symptoms of poisoning. So the body gets rid of the waste products of the bacteria that have got into it. In this case, cold sweat, chills and a sharp rise in temperature may appear, the forehead will become wet.
- Not all medicines prescribed by doctors are equally tolerated. There are drugs that cause allergic reactions or give a side effect in the form of increased sweating. In such a situation, you need to contact your doctor so that he can replace the drugs.
- The onset of pregnancy can cause sweating. At the time of bearing a child, strong hormonal changes occur in a woman’s body, which affect all metabolic processes, including sweating.
- A common cause in women after 45 years is the onset of menopause. With menopause, the so-called hot flashes are observed, in which at first it throws into a fever, and then chills are felt, and which are accompanied by the release of sweat. To improve the general condition, quality of sleep and reduce sweating will help preparations with phytohormones – ” Cyclim “, ” Klimadinon “, ” Klimakt-Hel “, ” Inoklim “.
- Some women suffer from excessive sweating at night along with fatigue and malaise during their periods and even a few days before them.
In addition, excessive sweating can occur as a result of a vegetative-vascular and rheumatological disease or a stressful condition. The reasons are different, but they all serve as a signal about the changes taking place in the body.
- The bad smell does not come from the sweat itself, which is 90% water. “Aroma” arises from microorganisms and compounds located in the upper layers of the skin and on the surface of the epithelium.
- The smell of sweat differs between men and women due to the fact that they have different types of bacteria on their skin.
- The number of sweat glands in both sexes is the same. The smell of male sweat is stronger only because it contains more H2O.
- The body of a healthy person releases 0.55 liters of sweat per day. During the heat and with increased physical exertion, the volume of fluid released increases to 1.5 liters.
In order to normalize the metabolic functions of the body and reduce sweating, you will have to visit a doctor’s office. Self-medication and connivance can result in irreversible consequences.
If it is established that the cause of profuse sweating in a dream is not related to the disease, you need to:
- Wear clothes and bedding made from natural materials at night.
- Revise the diet and, if necessary, follow the diet.
- Learn to deal with stressful situations.
- Spend more time outdoors.
- Monitor the temperature in the bedroom.
- Take a contrast shower before bed.